Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I would like to see...

Founding Member

I would like to see...

A tutorial about level matching, gain setting and tuning. I know they are out there. It would be a nice resource. If there is already a spot that these are in, my apologies. And if this needs moved/removed. That's fine.

Real Name
    Adam
    This is the perfect spot. We may stick it in a subsection later but I don't think an appropriate one exists currently.

Now who wants to step up and share a procedure?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

We all have different methods, I'm sure, so we'll need to stay pretty open minded.
    I'll be happy to post up some things I've done that have worked well. Heck, I may even copy/paste my old posts and pick it apart and say why what I thought worked well, didn't.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Founding Member
    Polarity comes first. Start with your RTA and play pink noise through each driver individually. Set the levels so the RTA values are the same (this is rough tune, fine tune comes later), and open up the crossovers to determine where the natural rolloffs are. Set ballpark crossover points so that you have some overlap between all drivers. I like to start at the subwoofer, others like to start at the tweeters. Play the subwoofer and ONE midbass driver and look at just the overlap region. Now adjust your polarity so that overlap region peaks as high as possible. Any tool you have here to get them in sync in the overlap region, do it. Ideally you'll want to see a sinkhole out of polarity and the highest peak you can get in the overlap region. Repeat for the other midbass. When you are done with all the speakers, the subwoofer should disappear into the stage and your friends will start asking if you removed the subwoofer out of your car.

next set the rough crossover points you'll want to work with. I usually start with rough points in between where my natural rolloffs are without over or underlap. These will get fine tuned later. Now set all the gains so that it is roughly "ok" sounding.

Now you start with the MONO pink noise (or any mono track, pink noise is best) and start with pairs of speakers at a time. Get each to center individually. this is setting "a". Now flip polarity on one entire side of the car and repeat the whole process. This is setting "b". now compare A and B. One will be forward and diffuse, the other will be farther and sharper. Your polarity and T/A is now locked in. If any fine adjustments are needed from now on for polarity, phase, or T/A, the mono source you use needs to be checked to make sure you didn't lose center focus. Nothing will be perfect yet, that's OK.

Now you can pull out your favorite reference, the tonally GREAT source you have that you want to mimic in the car. Playing STEREO pink noise you can set your gains and crossovers to match as best you can to the reference. Do this all by ear. Start with the gains to ensure no driver is playing a bigger role than they should be, and your reference will confirm it. Crossovers are a bit trickier, and I'll let others chime in on the best ways to fine tune crossover points. I'll only suggest timbre matching is ideal here between your reference and car.

At this point you've used NO EQ, and your car probably sounds good enough to win all the single point/local competitions in your area.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    We all have different methods, I'm sure, so we'll need to stay pretty open minded.
    I'll be happy to post up some things I've done that have worked well. Heck, I may even copy/paste my old posts and pick it apart and say why what I thought worked well, didn't.

that's a great idea.

thinking about this a bit more...

any of you guys have video editing ability?

I was thinking that a nice youtube video instructional would be a great help. The problem for me is showing the things you do with the software itself. I'd like to do a video of the computer screen itself and then be able to talk over it. IOW, it's like you're looking at my screen, while I talk about why I'm using certain settings.
    Then maybe a separate video on hardware setup... or a way to compile a video of an 'instructor' walking you through the motions, and also video of the screen itself so you can see the settings/results while they're being discussed in the background.

does that make a lick of sense?

The problem with doing something like that is that you stick your neck out for anyone to try to cut you down and berate you. Apparently, it's easier to sit on the internet and talk trash about something you have no knowledge on rather than experiment yourself. Who knew. Can you imagine the haters that would come out of the woodwork when you make a 'how to RTA' video? Seriously... you thought screwing up a word in your typed tutorial was wrong...
    Imagine how hard people are going to be on you when you tell them that a dip at 500hz *in your tests* is a phase issue and is best corrected via install/phase/crossover settings and they find that an EQ bump does the trick... all because they don't consider how two cars can be different.
    Last edited by ErinH; 10-04-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    thinking about this a bit more...

Can you imagine the haters that would come out of the woodwork when you make a 'how to RTA' video? .
    totally!

Real Name
    Adam
    Erin, you've got an iMac right? I'd think iMovie is all you'd need.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Yes. But I wouldn't know where to begin.

Real Name
    Adam
    There might be an easy way to do it via something like an automated powerpoint presentation. There are some powerpoint to flash conversion tools that might be useful. Some are mentioned here: Powerpoint To Flash: Convert Powerpoint To Flash Using PPT To Flash Conversion Tools - Mini-Guide, Part 1

With those you could create something like Chad Gray's soundeasy tutorials, like this one: T-S Combined