Thread: The MSS Doctrine

Real Name
    Adam

Post The MSS Doctrine

Welcome to Mobile Sound Science, a site dedicated to the science of sound reproduction in the mobile environment. Presented below is The MSS Doctrine.

doctrine (ˈdɒktrɪn)
    — n
    1. a creed or body of teachings of a religious, political, or philosophical group presented for acceptance or belief; dogma
    2. a principle or body of principles that is taught or advocated

Mobile Sound Science exists to promote the accumulation and dissemination of all types of audio knowledge, particularly that of special relevance to the mobile environment.

We are here to learn.

We have members of all levels of experience and expertise. From the veterans with decades of experience under their belts to the rookie building his first system, the common attribute that makes this community great is the desire to continue learning and sharing. No member knows it all. We all continue to learn, be it through discussion, research, successes, or failures.

You have an important role to play in this community. Share what you know when someone needs help, consider writing a tutorial about something you do well, share pictures of your work, and most importantly, do not be shy about asking a question. I can assure you that for every question you have, there are several more people with the same question. Help yourself and the others by stepping up and asking. We all start out with the basics and learn at our own pace. The only way to ensure failure is to not try.

We value the scientific method.

We at Mobile Sound Science value the scientific method as an organized process to guide us in continued pursuit of high quality sound reproduction. This relatively simple process does not need to involve elaborate measurements and high dollar test gear, but it does require some careful thought, a little planning, and some controlled tests to either support or refute a hypothesis.

Even basic trial and error can utilize the scientific method as long as you control the variables and use the trials as "experiments" to either support or refute your initial beliefs. You don't need to generate pages of data. A result can be something as simple as your own perception. Science doesn't have to be difficult or scary.

We encourage productive and healthy debate.

Disagreement is inevitable. We have our own views and opinions about a variety of issues. What is important is that we debate one another in a productive manner by supporting our arguments with evidence and accepting challenges to our positions without taking personal offense.

You may notice members, myself included, occasionally taking up a contrary position just for the sake of discussion, playing Devil's Advocate. Recognize that this tactic is not intended to incite argument or anger others, but rather is intended to compel participants to defend their claims and in doing so make their thought process available for others to read and learn.

We all have a role to play.

We're going to supply some unique front page content in the forms of driver testing and some demonstrations of concepts, but the bulk of the content on this site will be user generated. Ultimately you all determine the course of this site. Without your participation we will fail, but with a little effort and a lot of discussion there is no limit to our success.

I started this site because I want to do my part to advance the hobby. I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast, but I've got some big ideas for this site and with your help and patience I think we can get there.

By enthusiasts for enthusiasts.... What a concept.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 10-06-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I read this to myself, using a thick German accent. Made it seem more manifesto-ish.

Real Name
    Adam
    Second draft is up.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm open to suggestions and once we get something pretty solid I'll move these comments to a new thread in Fascist Central so they aren't lost.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Given that few of us are professional scientists (and even for those who are), I think you need a box as an output of "Experiment" that says, "Determine that results are invalid, and why" and "Re-define experiment".

I think that is more common than the other two put together, I'm afraid.

Real Name
    Adam
    Good point. Maybe "refine experiment". I just linked to that diagram image so I can't edit it easily. When I get a few minutes I'll draw one up specifically for this.

The one thing I would say (and I really don't mean to be pedantic) is that the third option is, "we tested the wrong question". In fact, both hypothesis being true and hypothesis being false are equally valued outcomes, since they tell us something we didn't know. For that reason they could go in the same bucket, since both are successes.

It's the one where the outcome doesn't tell us something - because we realize that we answered the wrong question, or asked the wrong question, etc.

Better writer than I:

An experiment is never a failure solely because it fails to achieve predicted results. An experiment is a failure only when it also fails adequately to test the hypothesis in question, when the data it produces don't prove anything one way or another.

Real Name
    Adam
    Just drew a new diagram up in excel (I'll never do that again). Whatcha think?

Excited to have found this place. Thanks for setting it up!

Real Name
    Adam
    Any more thoughts on this description of the site goals?