Thread: 2008 Mustang w/Shaker 500 6-speaker system (test)

2008 Mustang w/Shaker 500 6-speaker system (test)

Per the wiring diagram, the OEM system has deck power going to F and R speakers, and a mono output which drives external amps for each door-mounted 8" woofer.

I didn't measure or test the mono output. Didn't care

The front 5x7 output almost doesn't seem to have a crossover at all - but it starts rolling off gently at 1K and has noticeable output all the way down at 20 Hz. I made sure the speaker was connected, as this looked like one of those test artifacts that comes from an amp without any load on the output. It was relatively stable at different volumes - the signal flattened slightly and the lower freqs were a little stronger at the lowest volume settings. I would keep the OEM volume control based on this signal.

The sub signal was really hot (dual voice coil woofers with a low-impedance VC, so I am guessing there was a lot of voltage). I could not get the LF signal on my screen no matter what I did - stacked 50dB of attenuation, maxed input sensitivity. For that reason, I'm not 100% certain that the sub channels are not changing their EQ with higher volumes. The notes represented by the bars already off the screen MIGHT not be increasing in amplitude when the other bars are - I can't tell.

So I'm thinking I would try it without even USING the sub channel. I bet I could get a flat stereo signal without even exposing my install to that mono signal that could significantly degrade my separation in the upper bass and midrange (depending on any summing logic employed - if the summing was dumb and automatic, I would not expect great separation - and I know, the highest separation numbers are overrated). I would also be 100% confident in what was going on with the OEM volume knob, which I'm not with the sub output (probably 85%).

So this was a test without an install - I can't yet say for certain what is needed in the real world, but I'm going to go with Fixed EQ, Flat, Speaker Level for now and keep updating this thread.

Should be noted that, per Andy W @JBL:

Yes, MS-8 is designed with this use case in mind. It'll work great. All mono channels connected to the input are low-passed, time corrected and added back into the signal. MS-8 can't turn mono bass into stereo bass, but the mono bass won't compromise the stereo separation of the high frequencies.

Founding Member
    Is there any way you can test the phasing on the output of the Shaker 500 Subwoofer amplifiers located in the driver's side kick area? I tried to utilize the stock Shaker 500 amps/subs with a couple of aftermarket subwoofers, and I always ended up with weird cancellation issues in the upper part of the bass spectrum, 50 Hz on up. Then again, the cancellation could have also been due to the stock, high distortion drivers.

I can if, before we do the install, I get an impulse response SW program working.

There does seem to be a scary amount of boost at that note...

Did you measure a dip at 50?

Founding Member
    I didn't have my RTA setup at that time, so I improvised the poor man's way using a series of test tones. The weird thing was no matter what polarity I used on my trunk sub, I still had the cancellation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 0SF View Post
    I didn't have my RTA setup at that time, so I improvised the poor man's way using a series of test tones. The weird thing was no matter what polarity I used on my trunk sub, I still had the cancellation issue.
    This is gonna sound silly, but given how badly boosted those curve is at 50, any chance that the two were opposite polarity? I mean, wired out of phase?
    Last edited by VP Electricity; 09-30-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Founding Member
    I tried multiple configurations with polarity and it didn't help. A local installer claimed that Ford/Mazda factory subwoofers were phased weird, as in somewhere between 0 and 180 degrees, but I yanked the Shaker stuff out before I was able to verify that.