Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a cheap PC for running Soundeasy

poor resolution on the monitor output, namely attaching it to projectors.

The first time I connected it to my Samsung 226 panel, it looked horrible... I had to hunt around for a driver. What res is it going to when you connect it (and is it dual mirrored screens?) Because I don't think it was doing two diffrerent res at first, either.

I want mirrored, even if it moves around on the netbook screen like my GoBook did. 1024X768 is adequate.

Next hitch is that I'm running win7 (professional). have not tried the projector on the linux side yet.

Real Name
    Adam
    Is it possible to dual boot two different windows operating systems? All the laptops I'm looking at come with windows 7, but I want to have the XP option for soundeasy.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I'm sure it's possible, I don't know how.

Win 7 professional has XP mode, soundeasy may just run in 7 right out of the box. Is there a trial version? I can put it on my 7 machine and check it out for you to make sure it's cool.

Real Name
    Adam
    I'm thinking I might just grab an off-lease thinkpad T60. I know it will do the basics. It comes with XP, and it'll likely be reliable.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

that's a good bet if the price is right. I've bought two laptops off lease and they have done well for me..... still are actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm thinking I might just grab an off-lease thinkpad T60. I know it will do the basics. It comes with XP, and it'll likely be reliable.
    My dedicated download box is a Thinkpad A21M!! bought off-lease like 7-8 years ago running XP Pro. It was my production laptop until two-ish years ago. I am more than impressed with it's reliability and longevity.

Real Name
    Adam
    Pulled the trigger on a T60 with a dual core 2.0 ghz processor, 1gb ram, and a 120 gb HDD. Then ordered another 2gb stick of ram. We'll see how it works.

Administrator
    That'll be more than enough. Good luck.

I do like the external monitor, and keyboard for fixed testing where you don't have to move the rig. That's how I run my home office, when I'm doing administrative duties for work. Working on a laptop is a quick road to a headache, stiff neck and carpal tunnel for me.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.