Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a cheap PC for running Soundeasy

Real Name
    Adam

Need a cheap PC for running Soundeasy

I just bought Soundeasy so I can do driver testing for the site in addition to Erin. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to run it on. I have not bought a PC in 10 years. Only PCs I have access to at present are supplied by my employer but I am not willing to cross the work/hobby boundary on their equipment.

I think a used laptop (1 year old or so) might be a good idea. Maybe something refurbished. An alternative might be building a pretty basic desktop. Certainly no graphics intensive work, but I want to make sure it's able to last a few years.

From what I understand the Art USB Dual Pre will work with the software so there is no need for an internal soundcard above and beyond whatever is standard.

Any ideas for some reliable options? Priorities are cost>reliability>performance. Netbooks may be an option, though I'd want to use an external monitor for working with Soundeasy and exporting all the plots.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

look at the Dell Vostro Serie(laptop and desktop), look everyweek and sometimes you can catch a crazy deal.

I bought a Vostro 1015 with core2duo,2gb ram,320GB 7.2k... for 450$ (canadian, so probably ~400$ for you)

Also you could run VMware server 2 on your current machine, you can now map usb devices to a VM, so it could work without additional hardware and have to possibility to take some snapshot.

Dunno what kind of powa you need BUT I bought a dell GX270 3G P4HT, 3 gig of memory, win XP, 120GB HDD, DVD RW for around 100 bucks shipped last year about this time (I think). this means that for 100 dollars you can get more!

the GX270 is rock fuggin solid, I had a 270 at work for a LONG time and it never even looked at me funny except or an optical drive failure and a windows mishap.

shit, man, just about anything would do the trick.

for the praxis setup, I use a 3 yr old Dell vostro 1500 with 1.66ghz c2d and 2gb ram.

a netbook to me would be out of the question due to its cost. you should be able to pick up an old, cheap, used laptop for $200 and not have to worry about an external monitor.

just my $.02.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

200 for a laptop should be a non issue. I'll check the boards at work.

Real Name
    Adam
    Any thoughts on intel versus AMD on the used market? I've never owned a computer with AMD but I assume the difference would be unnoticed.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

not really noticed, I was a big AMD fan because of the "stick it to the man" approach but honestly I do intel now used because the price difference is not much.

Personally, the netbook with an external monitor for bench testing has been a really flexible path for me. I have an ASUS 1000HA, and the 1005HA was sub-$300 the other day on Buy.com. I would have an external monitor and a wireless keyboard and that would make the whole deal pretty flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    ASUS 1000HA,
    I have the same one..... for some reason I still get resolution issues.. do you have any neato tricks for me?

What kind of issues? I had some and I had to update the driver for my flat panel. Since then it's been OK for me. It doesn't remember the relative positions of dual split screens, I know that.