Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Containment Thread

FWIW the Auras in my doors feel REALLY cheap, not only stamped basket (which I have no issue with because they can support my weight while bouncing on the magnet but they are SUPER light because they have a neo magnet. Shit, I even had to add a glue/water mix tothe front gasket to de-cheap them and keep them from falling apart.

Best sounding driver to ever go in that car. I mean DAMN! They are very transparent, like they are not even there. When I was free air "rednek testing" the light came on when I hooked one up in my hand and it wanted to jump OUT OF my hand while playing some jazz tracks through it with a snappy kick drum.

Administrator
    Yeah, "cheap" is relative. Pointing out where a designer cut costs is one thing, saying it's "cheap" is another. The big problem with stamped baskets is lack of cooling, and flex when you mount them to solid surfaces. Torque them evenly and you'll be fine on the flex.

A woofer's worth is in the motor. The worst enemy of a motor is heat. Lack of cooling causes issues, stamped baskets can have problems with cooling. Okay, so we know that. Now what about a stamped basket that has paid special attention to cooling through the use of vents where the motor is attached to the basket? That's what we have here with this particular speaker.

So, while a cast basket looks cool, I can find plenty of cast basket drivers that are in fact crap. They feel "expensive", but are generally mediocre at best.

The issue with making an initial statement about quality of the driver is, in this case, is CSS trying to offer a very low cost, high performance woofer, or are they trying to peddle crap? My impression is number one, solely on the fact that they paid attention to cooling, and made that a feature of the design. That tells me they're trying to maximize a motor's performance. So, I can take it as at least a decent motor, attached to some lower cost parts to keep overall cost down. Nothing in there says "cheap".
    Last edited by MiniVanMan; 10-11-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

I don't think cooling is going to make much of a difference at this stage in the game. I trust some of the steels more in a stamped basket at getting heat away WAY more than some of the shit pot metal they use in some frames.