Thread: Handy Apps

Real Name
    Adam

Handy Apps

Post the various apps (mobile device or computer) you find handy around the shop or for audio duties in general.

I'll go first. I found this free Electrical Toolkit app the other day and it's pretty useful for a free app. Electrical ToolKit for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

I also found this one but haven't pulled the $3.99 trigger yet: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elect...339158729?mt=8

Anyone have a cutsheet application they particularly like.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 10-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I don't have links for these since I got them directly from the app store via phone, but I'll list my "audio toolbox" folder:

SPL Meter- Self explanatory, simple SPL meter with Zero and C weighting. Tops out below 120dB though.
    FreqGen- Cool app, frequency generator that will play any freq between 20hz and 20khz, 5 different waveform options.
    ResistorCC- Interactive resistor color code chart, because I always forget colors. Line up the colors and it tells you the value.
    RTA Lite- Simple RTA, with fuull octave or 1/3 octave resolution and dB SPL level.
    Formulus Free- A lot of formulas for Trig and Calculus problems, doesn't do the math for you though- just the formulas. Good for checking your work.
    Convert Units- I use this mostly for converting liters to cubic feet, but it also does speed, temp, time, and other volume conversions.
    Shazam- Not an audio tool per se, but a great app to have if you hear a song and want to know what it is or who the artist is.

These were all free apps, most of them have paid upgrades available but I just use the free ones.
    Last edited by TREETOP; 10-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.

I have the electronics app it works well when you need it.

JL Audio released a free app named "JL Audio".
    It includes an SPL meter, 31 band RTA, Speaker polarity tester, Calculators (ohms law, amp. target voltage, sine wave calculator, db calculator).

J.

^ yep. and it's free!!
    it's made by studio six which makes a lot of the other audio related apps.
    App Shopper: JL Audio Tools (Music)

pretty dang sweet!
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

from the looks of things most of these are for the ifruit. the android market has its own rta, osciliscope, and spl meter too. none of which are too difficult to find and they all have both free and paid versions as well. the rta "pro" allows for the peaks to hold values and goes up to 120 bands. i've not had a chance to compare it with the local shops rta to test any sort of accuracy since school started again though.

just found one (new?) on the android market called Speedy Spectrum Analyzer by Electron Chaos. seems a little bit more involved than the RTA Pro Analyzer by RADONSOFT as it has more options and settings to play with. just picked it up for tree-ninety-nine for something to mess around with on the phone.
    i should really stay off of forums after a few drinks.