Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting Circles

something of that ilk, can't find the ones I have. The important bit is that it stays where it's supposed to be while you're cutting and provides enough clearance for the tool you're using. I tend to use 20mm aluminium square tube clamped in place if I have to or get the lumber cut with a table saw while I'm buying it, TBH.

Same thing applies for circles - pressure in one direction only or your circle won't be circular.
    And cut rebates before the hole ;)

- Bret

Founding Member

I can help you fix this, my holes are PERFECT.

Whether you hog out your hole all at once or take multiple passes to do the job, stop about 1mm from plunge-through. Then flip your cut and use a box-cutter to trim that last bit off.

Your hole will be precision-perfect every time, you'll have no blip at the end as shown here.

another way to do it: trim, say, 1/4", 6mm down. That cut - a complete circle - will be perfect.
    Now finish off and then use your flush trim bit... or cut the center out with the jigsaw and use the flush trim bit.

- Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bretti_kivi View Post
    another way to do it: trim, say, 1/4", 6mm down. That cut - a complete circle - will be perfect.
    Now finish off and then use your flush trim bit... or cut the center out with the jigsaw and use the flush trim bit.

- Bret
    Excellent point, thank you for that. This does work best when you can access both sides of the piece with your router though...
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.

right, which is why sometimes it's not practical.

Used a hole saw for a tweet two nights ago.. no push fits here, hole's too big. Meh. I much prefer routers, even if they're fiddly and noisy.

The above is also rather good if you intend to chamfer / round over the rear edge of the hole for a woofer.

- Bret

Real Name
    Ian
    I always router the holes before attaching the baffle to the box and I always do it on top of a scrap piece of wood. Just countersink a couple screws into the piece you're cutting out and then clamp down the rest of the baffle and then you can router all the way through and you'll get a perfect hole that won't require any extra work.

So you have that chunk of wood with a bazillion shallow circles in it too?

"screws in the piece you're cutting out" and "clamp the rest".

Makes sense from here

- Bret

Real Name
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by bretti_kivi View Post
    Used a hole saw for a tweet two nights ago.. no push fits here, hole's too big. Meh. I much prefer routers, even if they're fiddly and noisy.
    Draught excluder around the driver will see it fit snug

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    So you have that chunk of wood with a bazillion shallow circles in it too?
    I've got a couple - dozens - of them.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio