Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Tool Storage / Pegboard

Mobile Tool Storage / Pegboard

Being in a rental house, I didn't want to devote much time to workshop storage that I would just have to tear down when I moved. I had several pieces of pegboard that I moved from my condo that was just begging to be put to use. I devised this basic frame that sits on casters and can really hold quite a few tools. This probably is suited more for those without a nice toolbox or those in an apartment, condo, rental, etc... It was easy to build, and can be duplicated by anyone with the basic car audio fabrication tools.

Basic construction is a 2 x 4 frame with grooves the pegboard slides in to, a plywood base, plywood sides and 3" casters. I've got a cut sheet around here somewhere if anyone was interested.

If I were to do it again, I would make the base about 2 inches deeper and use plywood in place of the two-by stock on the base where it spans the plywood uprights. This would allow a bit more storage at the bottom (where you don't have much room to hang anything anyway) where easily fabricated totes could be stored. Also, I'd paint them just to mask the nasty big-box lumber. A permanent solution would be made from hardwood and birch ply.

Overall, pretty useful considering that the construction was very basic.
    STI<>GTO

Looks good, man. Great idea!

Real Name
    Adam
    Awesome solution.

I've got miter and steel ruler envy.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Nice, I might have to do something like this when I get my new table saw

Founding Member
    May I say that I LOVE THOSE CARTS. I'm seeing a third one with peg on one side and a clamp rack on the other. Rolled to the table saw for table saw clamp needs, then rolled back to the assembly table when assembling.

very, VERY nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    Looks good, man. Great idea!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Awesome solution.

I've got miter and steel ruler envy.
    Woodcraft is a dangerous, dangerous place.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    Nice, I might have to do something like this when I get my new table saw
    No need to wait! You could build them with a router and circular saw now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    May I say that I LOVE THOSE CARTS. I'm seeing a third one with peg on one side and a clamp rack on the other. Rolled to the table saw for table saw clamp needs, then rolled back to the assembly table when assembling.
    I thought about clamps, but it would need to be much bigger. And balance might be tricky if you have a project that requires multiples of the same style clamp. Maybe modify it to be more square than rectangular to get more space and improve stability?

Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    very, VERY nice.
    Thanks Monsignor Bang!
    STI<>GTO

Founding Member
    Loved it too much not to straight up copy.

made one complete copy

And made one half height, and peg on only one side. So I can pegboard my miter gauge, riving knife, and dado blade, with plenty of room for the future. The other side can hold my clamps, which I use in two locations in my shop, this being one of them. Now I can wheel my clamps where I need them, and store them in an otherwise useless space. Not to mention provide plenty of real estate to triple the clamp collection. (it's already 1/3rd what it needs to be!)

Attached Images Attached Images   

Founding Member
    I've gotten in the habit of ripping all my construction 2x4 to 3" wide by taking 1/4 inch off each side. It lets me double up boards to make perfect squares, and squares the edges to imitate more expensive 2x3 lumber while letting me still buy the cheap stuff.

Also for me, I've had endless problems finding good casters, but found an AWESOME source. Ikea makes the best casters I have ever used, My shop has 5 sets in use and I now need 2 more sets for these peg boards, and I'm still not done. bar none the best casters I've found to date.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 11-15-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Nice Steve!

Good tip regarding the 2x lumber. At my local big boxes you'd have a hard time finding boards straight enough to rip down without running them across the jointer first. Looks much better though!
    STI<>GTO