Thread: Aurasound NS8-385-4A

Founding Member

Aurasound NS8-385-4A

Anyone else see this one:

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8991

Pretty much everyone around here knows I have a bit of an Aura NRT fetish, but an underhung NRT woofer with 5mm of underhung xmax for about 20 bucks? How about an all-underhung NRT augmented wideband setup (Whisper + NS8) for well under 100 USD in drivers?

Even though I'm happy enough with the JBL 116H-1's that I haven't even installed the Seas Lotus L0011's I traded for a while ago, I think I might be ordering a pair. Or maybe 8, because I don't really need XLS8's in my dream HT mains (two 8" woofers flanking an 8" Tannoy Dual Concentric.)

Hey Erin, wanna PM me your address to get these things tested?

Administrator
    I'd have to hear that one to believe it. Looks like the NS4, only bigger. The distortion performance on the NS4 isn't all that great. Doesn't look like the design goals mirror that of Chad's NS6 (is that the model?)

Sensitivity is low, but that might be a good thing with your proposed setup.

One NS8 and two Whispers per side would be quite the little setup for very little investment though. That NRT motor can get low. Keep the bandwidth low, with the bottom end conservative, and the top end conservative and they'll generally do quite well. The more I think about it, that with a Whisper would be very nice.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

I know this is old, but I am about to try a pair with some fountek fr88's. I'll report back in a week or so once I have the install finished.
    '94 Civic Coupe- fountek fr88ex's, aura ns8's, aes 10

If anyone has an adire koda 6 II they will sell me, PLZ PM ME!

What's your thought on the Aura NS8? What type of enclosure are you using? I'm thinking off using one or two of these in an underseat .45cu ft vented or passive radiator setup tuned 30-37hz.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by shrub0 View Post
    What's your thought on the Aura NS8? What type of enclosure are you using? I'm thinking off using one or two of these in an underseat .45cu ft vented or passive radiator setup tuned 30-37hz.
    It can work but you know it's not a real subwoofer... right?

Kelvin

With WinISD modeling i'm able to get 100db of output within xmax from 30hz up.
    Have a better real subwoofer in a .45cu ft space? With only 200 watts to boot.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by shrub0 View Post
    With WinISD modeling i'm able to get 100db of output within xmax from 30hz up.
    Have a better real subwoofer in a .45cu ft space? With only 200 watts to boot.
    What did you use for Xmax? Searching for it, I found that it, indeed, has 5mm of Xmax one-way.
    With your 0.45cuft enclosure for 1 driver, tune below 40Hz and you go over Xmax around 60Hz with only 100 watts.

Kelvin

Yup I used 5mm for x-max. Just wish I had a inductance rating on these.