Thread: Eric Stevens - Mercury Sable - 1993 CA&E

Eric Stevens - Mercury Sable - 1993 CA&E

Ziffer, Amy V. "Installations - Company Car" Car Audio & Electronics July 1993: 42-50. Car Audio and Electronics - Car stereo reviews, how-tos, and mobile electronics news

Real Name
    Adam
    That automatic security panel for the headunit is cool.

So was this vehicle part of the genesis of the Image Dynamics horns?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

My parents had an 88 sable then a 92. I drove the 92 a bunch when I was home from school.

I HATE fords.. but that was a damn good car. The 92 was that mint green though, the 88 was about the color of our Snot-ah. You could tell from the get-go it was a stereo machine if you made it right. Then after I drove it for a day my '78 Monte came out of purgatory (storage) and it was like OH HELL YES.

Oh the days.

I almost had my first car back a few years ago. It's a sad, long story, but one of the best birthdays ever.

Man, did Eric ever have hair?

I've had quite a few of these cars...

• I drove an 89 in high school and put my first stereo in it (MCM coaxes and a ratshack amp)
    • I was given my mother's 91 to drive through college, I did most of my experimentation in stereo installation in this car. First car to have subwoofers. It only had deadheads installed. 3 way up front with my first experiments in fiberglass too. Ahh the days.
    • Then I had 2 subsequent Taurus SHO's (95, 93) which had no stereo work other than a HU in them. But they had man pedals!
    • I got the Mazda 6 and used what I learned in the 91 sable to put a few different setups in it
    • I was given my grandparent's 95 Sable as a beater. I amped the stock speakers and put in a subwoofer, then after about a year the subframe broke from accumulated rust and I got rid of it.

There's definitely a special place for the Mercury Sable / Ford Taurus in my heart

Here's the most polished version of the system I had in the 91

After that it kinda went to hell. The surrounds on the crossfire 10's rotted off (foam) and then that in turn resulted in the Beta100 smoking. I replaced the amps with a Kappa 255A and some perfect 12's, changed to an eclipse deadhead, went 3 way semi-active in front vs 2 way passive. It never looked that nice again.

The build log to the car is posted on the ID site.

Those look like TAD 15s in the back...not IDWs.

A lot of that install was changed out little later on when Matt redid the car.

Oh, Eric had those highly modded Lanzar amps up til a couple years back. They sold on the cheapness. And his nephew has/had the car...minus the good stuff from the install.