Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Ken from Portland, OR. B+R in SE Cali, farm country, started in audio in mid-80's at 20 years old in San Diego. Worked with 7909, 320i, PQ10, Punch 45, et cetera, when they were new. Been to like 20-something CES shows, sometimes sheperding the 1968 510 over the hill. Started doing computer box design and passive crossover design around 1989, playing around with vented, bandpass, iso vented, building passives for Seas, Morel, Vifa, Peerless, et cetera. Worked for some 12V manufacturers in product planning for alarms, video, audio, and telematics. 44 now, with a great 1-year-old, a great wife, and a small high end shop.

First system was an Alpine 7273, deck power high passed by the Alpine DIN 2W active xov er @ 120 Hz fixed, a set of coaxes in the doors of mu Dodsubishi Pickup, and Punch 6.5" woofer sin sealed boxes behind the seats powered by a black Orion amp I borrowed from a friend. I had an AutoPage alarm without a shock sensor, so I would leave the doors unlocked so no one would break the windows.

Jason Winslow...winslow on all of the forums except for DIYMA where I gave myself the tongue in cheek name "thehatedguy"

Reside outside of Charlotte, NC in a sleepy little town named Shelby. If you've ever been up or down I-85 going to-from NC to SC or GA, you've passed me.

Car is Lexus IS300. System probably won't be changing anytime soon since the wife would castrate me. That, and for the first time, I am really really happy with how it sounds...thank god for the MS-8 and listening/trying new speakers.

Kickass, good to see you here Winslow. Unfortunately our travels don't take us by your place, even though we are in SC yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    First system was an Alpine 7273
    That was one of my first high end car decks as well. I had the matching 3318. Nothing like the old green alpine buttons that turned orange when pressed.

I'm Chad, I live in east Central Illinois located in a tiny town smack between Champaign/Urbana and Danville, it's quiet but I'm secluded enough from society thqat I can get loud and pretty much do what I want. My town is VERY American, we fly flags, light them up at night, own and shoot guns, respect and help our neighbors, it's pretty damn secure.

I've been into audio since I could walk, I was given an AM table top radio that I would listen to WLS on (back when it was a rock station) and I would rock out in my kiddie rocking chair. that sealed the deal. Got into car audio in the late 80's with money left over from chasing tang, about the same time or VERY shortly after I got into pro audio. I did not take my car to school with me so pro audio became a mainstay and almost an instinct for me. I started repairing, designing, and building systems for clubs in college for extra cash. After school I worked in my applied field for all of a week and went back to pro audio, Found out that mixing was pretty easy for me, and eventually hit the road. This is where I stayed till Jan of 2004 when I was hurled into the big D, got my current job, and decided it was time to settle down. Shortly after was about the time that I joined DIYMA, actually my first internet forum. in '04 I decided to get back into car audio just as a "what the hell" thing, it took my mind off of things and in 15 years it became rather affordable to get great shit... BAM DIY! That hiatus from car audio was good for me because I missed out on much of the mythology that surrounds the industry and allowed me to re-enter with a fresh, no-bullshit approach.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2chGUY View Post
    You can call me Jay...

That is all ;)
    Ditto, except I'm to verbose for that to be "all."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm Adam.

I started around age 10 by setting up a stereo in my childhood bedroom (NAD 3020 and some old KLH speakers and a Nak tape deck). I moved on up to some newer NAD gear and a set of Thiel CS2s by the time I was in high school.
    Wow, Thiels in HS!

I was a car nut before I was an audio nut. Around 1991, I picked up an issue of the late Sports Car International, and at the time it had a column called "Music Machines" written by the late Bill Burton. I started corresponding w/ Bill and that really sparked my interest in audio as opposed to just being interested in music and being happy with my Sony mini-system.

I got my actual start a bit later, buying Kenwood's flagship receiver and a pair of Mirage M590i bipole speakers when I was 14 or 15. When I was 17 I picked up a pair of KEF Q15's, and shortly thereafter discovered the now-defunct "basslist" (DIY speaker mailing list) and started reading stuff that totally blew my mind from luminaries such as Dr. Earl Geddes and Ken Kantor, as well as a number of very smart hobbyists (a gentleman named Doug Purl stands out in my mind). Started building subwoofers shortly thereafter with different drivers (JL 15W6, IDQ-12s, DEI CS4124s, NHT 1259's) Moved on to mains a few months later.

When I bought my CitroŽn DS-21 as a junior in HS, there was no doubt I had to put a system in it. I ended up putting a Denon DCT-950R head, AudioControl 24XS crossover, and a PPI A404.2 powering KEF KAR 160Q coincident mains low in the front doors and two Oz Audio 250L's in a 1.6 cubic foot sealed box. Later on I added a Roland digital delay box (per Bill's advice) with a pair of Audax HM130Z0's on the back deck, and a Rockford POWER 300 MOSFET. I still have all of that gear except for the Oz subs (traded in undergrad for a second 15W6) and the A404.2 (recently sold for flood relief). I've been scheming for a new system for that car ever since.

I was first introduced to constant-directivity speakers as a teenager in Berlin. Crazy system: BMS dual concentric compression drivers on 90x40 horns over 15" Beyma woofers, 22" Cabasse subwoofer. Until then, I had hated every horn system (car or home) that I had heard. Then sometime after 2002 I heard a pair of Tannoy D700s, and was sold on the Dual Concentric concept.

In 2004 I bought a used 2001 British Racing Green Mazda Miata, the special edition for that year with a wood Nardi steering wheel and shift knob. Because of the unique circumstances of that car, I started researching some interesting new drivers. I started with a new (to me, at least) 2" driver from Aura, and when Phil Bamberg (BESL posted T/S parameters for some then-OEM only 8" Peerless woofers on the (now defunct) Basslist, I bought a pair of them and thus claim to have "discovered" the SLS8 for car use. That system has changed a little since then, with a good room correction system (Audyssey MultEQ XT) and a footwell sub being the biggest improvements.

Unfortunately, I misallocated a lot of resources in audio as an older teenager/young adult. Instead of focusing on speakers, I spent a lot (compared to my income) on electronics and even cons such as expensive wires. (I still have a pair of 2m Esoteric Audio Artuses, which were $600/m RCA cables. Disgusting.) I bought expensive electronics. First Marantz and Adcom, then Classe and the like. The really sad part is that I had started experimenting with blind tests and started to learn what was really going on, but for probably 3-4 years that knowledge didn't change my buying habits. I "snapped" when I realized that a dealer had come within moments of convincing me to buy a vibration damper to put under my integrated amp!

One of the reasons I talk an awful lot about audio electronics (except for signal processors) being interchangeable commodity parts is because I see no reason for others to pour money down the pointless sinkholes I poured money down. After all, there are sinkholes one can pour money down that at least do something!
    Last edited by DS-21; 09-03-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: clarity

As I was looking through my pics to find a nice avatar, I realized how ironic it is. You guys know why Just want to make sure I can post here since the cat who referred me here has a "probationary" account or something. Can someone fully activate Landau Karlissian (I know, right? ;))? All I can say is...awesome, thank God, it's about time, etc. That shit is seriously out of hand.

Well, if anyone cares, still got the same setup I'll probably add to my sig later. Waiting on the new H-Audio tweeters and might be in the market for different amps (ugh...). Other than that, the rest of the equipment is staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    My town is VERY American, we fly flags, light them up at night, own and shoot guns, respect and help our neighbors, it's pretty damn secure.
    So the rest of America is not American? :p

Btw, watched the movie your avatar came from last week. I can definitely see that situation happening given enough time...

Founding Member
    Hello gentlemen,

My name is Trevor as indicated by my less-than-creative username. I am not a D.J., those just happen to be my other two initials.

I have a Volvo C30 that I have been working on steadily for the last 8 months. I am hoping it will be done soon. I am here to soak up some knowledge supplementing my current reading of "A Complete Guide to High End Audio." In reality I am a geek at heart who started off studying physics and math in college; eventually evolving to chemistry and biology and finally medicine.
    -Trevor

Founding Member
    I think MSS would be a great place to continue your build log, Trevor.

I wish I had an eighth of your skill and a twentieth of your patience!