Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Introductions

What's up yall?

Chad told me to come join the new "best" car audio page! Happy to be here! Probably not the best contributor, but I will give you experts a place to answer my questions!

RON

2008 VW GLI (Semi SQ - using as much of the factory stuff as possible)
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (nothing yet) I plan to put my build log on soon!

Let's make this the Introduction thread. I'm Benny from Canuckistan, here's hoping MSS turns into the best technical mobile audio forum on the intarwebz!

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Let's make this the Introduction thread. I'm Benny from Canuckistan, here's hoping MSS turns into the best technical mobile audio forum on the intarwebz!
    Nice to meet you! What is your ride?

I'm jason. Live in Nashville. Been into car audio since my sister got her first car when I was 14. I'm now 41.

Have three cars to fill with equipment and a LOT of equipment. Only have temporary systems in two of the three.

Checking in as well...

Erin (aka: bikinipunk), from North 'Bama. My car is never done. As much as I like to think it is sometimes.

Thanks again, Adam, for getting this ball rolling.

I'm Dennis, I live in Philadelphia and grew up here. My audio system is completely removed from my 08 honda civic, ready to trade it in for a better car. I have a
    buncha stuff ready to install, need to work out drivers once I decide on a car
    and get it.

Real Name
    Adam
    I'm Adam.

I started around age 10 by setting up a stereo in my childhood bedroom (NAD 3020 and some old KLH speakers and a Nak tape deck). I moved on up to some newer NAD gear and a set of Thiel CS2s by the time I was in high school. Got a car my junior year and decided it needed more bass. Started with an alpine bandpass subwoofer and one of the old V12 amps. In college I had NAD/Adcom/B&W gear in the various places I lived. Had a basic system in my Jeep.

This obsession got bad when I landed a job and started making decent money. Bought a bunch of McCormack gear, nicer speakers, silly expensive cables, etc.. I looked at it all and thought "there is nothing very complex here, I could probably build some of this stuff."

Started building cables. Then subwoofers. Then did a big install in my S60 which I'll be sure to document on MSS. Most recently I've built a few sets of home audio speakers (Geddes Nathan 10s being the most notable) and completed a multiple subwoofer install in my family room consisting of 4 AE IB 15s in two ceiling manifolds and a sealed maelstrom-x in the front corner of the room.

I wrote all of that to show that I didn't start out understanding the technical stuff (and I still only know a fraction of what I'd like to know). It took almost a decade to rid myself of some typical hi-fi delusions and get myself on a more rewarding "do it yourself" path.

Earlier this week I started this website to give enthusiasts a new place to talk about audio, share their knowledge, ask questions and get to know each other. So far we've got a group here that has a lot of technical knowledge. The key is going to be getting some interesting discussions going so we can get that knowledge out on the forum.

That's where the guys who feel reluctant to ask questions need to step up. Ask questions! We dont know everything, but we will do our best to get you answers and those discussions can help everyone learn.

If we put in the effort, MSS can really become something great.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That's where the guys who feel reluctant to ask questions need to step up. Ask questions! We dont know everything, but we will do our best to get you answers and those discussions can help everyone learn.
    Very true. Questions and experimentation are what keeps us educated. There's no telling how many times I've had to relearn something, or double check an answer I'm about to give because I've not practiced what I preach or looked into the subject matter in a long time. Case in point: Chad mentioned power response in another thread. I had to google search and make sure that it was what I thought it was. I then spent another hour reading up on attributed topics because, as I read, I had more questions.

Name is Drake, from Raleigh, NC. Here is hoping this website can take off and take out some other known forums!

Same boat as Erin, deluding myself at times that my install is done and later changing, lol.

Founding Member
    Matt from Phoenix, AZ. I've been into car audio since i got my first crutchfield magazine when i was a freshman in high school. I used to offer my services to local shops (no one ever took me up on the offer), tried to convince my dad to put in some blaupunkt speakers in our ford windstar and that's where it started. He said no, but I have always cared greatly about music, the pure enjoyment of listening and being entertained by awesome beats or sick guitar riffs. i used to volunteer to vacum out the van when it got dirty, cause that meant that I could turn the stereo up and blast it while the vacuum was running. that was then...

this is now.... I don't work in the industry but a few years back used to sell at a small Home HiFi place that also had car audio as part of the business plan. It wasn't very lucrative, and no one ever wanted to install the "cool" shit i would try to get them into. "nope, just a deck and rears, please." blah. a few years after that I find "the other forum" and I jumped right in. I'm happy to contribute and ask questions, but i'm still learning all the really technical stuff, so take it easy on me.

i'm glad this forum started, so thanks to everyone that has contributed so far. "the other forum" has taken a serious turn for the worse, so its nice to see many of the "old timers" on here as well.