Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dashmats - worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    The day I feel the need to carpet my dash is the day I will no longer participate in this hobby.
    Completely with you on that. I had a dashmat for about 15 minutes. Don't care if it helped - there was no way I was going to have that thing in my field of vision every time I drive the car. Way too huggy bear.

Founding Member
    Didn't npdang test this back in the good ol' days of DIYMA and find absolutely no benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    Didn't npdang test this back in the good ol' days of DIYMA and find absolutely no benefit?
    Well his test was flawed if that's the case.

I will demo my car to anyone that says it doesn't do a thing. The moment I pull the mat off the dash you'll hear an obvious difference.

If his test was done on a setup with nothing in the A-pillars possibly...
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

The day I feel the need to carpet my dash is the day I will no longer participate in this hobby.
    While I do agree that the dash looks better than the mat.. the sound quality gains offset the aesthetics.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    While I do agree that the dash looks better than the mat.. the sound quality gains offset the aesthetics.
    That's a total matter of opinion, I think that dash mats look white trash, collect dirt and allergens, you name it. If you asked me to paint my shop pussy pink because pussy pink sounded heads and shoulders better... I would not do that either.

That's a total matter of opinion, I think that dash mats look white trash, collect dirt and allergens, you name it. If you asked me to paint my shop pussy pink because pussy pink sounded heads and shoulders better... I would not do that either.
    Have you seen a modern manufactured dash mat? We aren't talking a piece of 70's shag here.. Through computer modeling the dash mats fit very well over the contours of the dash. Fit and finish are nice... also a vacuum cleaner will take care of the dash just as well as the floor carpet.

but... it's... still... carpet.... on.... your... dash......

Whatever works I guess. If there was an alternative that was just as effective I would entertain it.

Founding Member
    Yeah, mobile audio is all about tradeoffs, and I am not trading carpet on my dash for a possible decrease in reflections. There has got to be a better way around that. Baffle shape? Speaker placement?

Quote Originally Posted by 94VG30DE View Post
    Yeah, mobile audio is all about tradeoffs, and I am not trading carpet on my dash for a possible decrease in reflections. There has got to be a better way around that. Baffle shape? Speaker placement?
    Well in my case running the mids & tweets off-axis in the pillars works GREAT. It sounds decent without the dash mat, but with the dash mat the image is just dead center. Short of carpeting the windshield I'm pretty much at a loss for what else I could do.