Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashmats - worthwhile?

Dashmats - worthwhile?

I'm trying out the new Pioneer 2-5/8 midrange in the a-pillars and wondering how much a dashmat would help in taming early reflections. Seems like the windshield is the bigger problem but I can't do much about that. I've seen the carpet ones before, but now there are more material options. Is there a better material choice?

Also, any recommends for places to buy from? I've found a lot of places selling online but maybe someone has had a good experience with a certain brand or supplier.

Try different items on the dash first to see if YOU can hear a difference.

Towels , blanket , etc..,

Quote Originally Posted by Hai View Post
    Try different items on the dash first to see if YOU can hear a difference.

Towels , blanket , etc..,
    This is tru.

I tried a few different things. I was actually running a charcoal colored bath towel for a few weeks. Really helped tame my Neo3/Neo8's in the pillars and center up the image. I ended up going with Mr. Dash Mat (eBay). I bought the carpet version. Fit great, and works just as well as the towel did, if not better.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Real Name
    Todd
    I'mma go with 'they can be worthwhile but aren't for every install'. If a towel helps, then go for the dashmat. Not saying anything different, just adding a little backup to the idea! Oh, I got mine from CarCoverPlanet.com.
    post from DIYMA on mine
    Team MSE/JL Audio
    2010 MECA OK State Champion Modified SQ and Install
    2011 MECA OK State Champion Extreme SQ, SQ BOS
    2011 MECA World Champion Extreme SQ
    2012 MECA OK State Champion Extreme SQ, SQ BOS

The last SQ event I attended had many cars with Dash Mats. I recall one going as far as having foam about 1" thick upholstered and placed on the dash.

Alpine/Morel competitor Gary...something... uses a dash mat and also fabricated some flaps (looks like foam+fabric) near his speakers on his dash.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
    That's the one.

I saw the "hood" Gary put on his Morel domes and tweeters at the MECA finals. He said he started out just bending some cardboard, placed it over the speakers, and did some listening tests. He felt like it made a noted improvement and then got them fabricated. The appeared to be alcantara just like the dashmat and I believe they were all one piece, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking at them. He was pretty open about them and he is a member over at DIYMA (maybe here too) so I'm sure he would be willing to share info if somebody asked.

As for the dashmat, I had a noted improvement using towels so I bought one. The faux suede has a tendancy to fade over time, so I just went with a standard mat. I added a layer of fleece to the bottom just to increase the thickness a bit. It is less than 1/4" which I believe is the limitation on thickness to stay in the modified or modified street class in MECA, so that is where I kept it. It did seem to help the focus and took some of the "sharpness" out of the tweets. Since the reflections amplify the sound, I lost a bit of output and had to increase the power to them for level matching. Make sure you're not on the ragged edge of your tweeters power handling or you may be SOL when you try and go back to level match.

I also did dashmat/no dashmat tests on music chosen by my wife (Coldplay) and brother (Metallica) and both thought the music sounded better with the dashmat.

I've seen tests where there is no measureable difference and dashmat.com swears they are acoustically transparent, so I'm just sharing my opinion that there was a change and IMHO that change improved the sound. Hope it helps.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

The day I feel the need to carpet my dash is the day I will no longer participate in this hobby.

Thanks guys. Iíll try the towel idea first to see if that helps any, but Iíll probably end up putting these back in the kicks. I love the stage height in the pillars, just canít seem to tame or get used to the in your face sound. They sound much smoother and more laid back in the kicks, at the cost of stage height.