Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dashmats - worthwhile?

Thought I read in one of the rule books for either IASCA or MECA that you couldn't? Either way it's pretty pointless. My car is a daily driver first, and competition vehicle for fun.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

I've seen plenty of carpets on the outside of the windshield. I just figured that the inside was fair game as well. It may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
    You could certainly do it at a comp.
    I'm actually pretty sure it isn't allowed on the inside of the glass in competition either. You can black out the windows from the outside though to give better "focus" to the listener.

FWIW, I felt like I noticed difference. I also tried the dashmat/no-dashmat comparison with my wife, brother, and sister-in-law. None in the car at the same time and with music of their choice. They all felt that it sounded better. I didn't get any comments on imaging (didn't expect it) but I did hear things like "the cymbals sound better" or "I think it sounds smoother". The change COULD be their in minds since they would probably know I wouldn't get a dashmat if I didn't think it would make an improvement and were trying to find an improvement for me, but I'm doubtful since both my wife and brother are honest enough to tell me I wasted my money if they thought so.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    Where were you speakers located?
    Tweeter and mids both on pillars. Done both on and off axis installs with a third install coming up with on axis MTM arrangement.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Take two amplfiers, sometimes even two speakers, frequency sweep, they measure the same. Listen to music, they sound totally different. Point? Sometimes there'smore in sonic character than can be measured via sweep.
    This is NOT the same thing. In the test mentioned, all he changed was the mat, not anything CREATING or RECORDING the sound. In your example you are changing the thing that makes the sound, which introduces other outside variables (manufacturing inconsistencies, gain issues, impedance issues, connection issues, etc). I will concede that maybe there is something that wouldn't be picked up on a straight sweep (but very unlikely), but don't say that your example and the original are the same structure of test.

Quote Originally Posted by 94VG30DE View Post
    This is NOT the same thing. In the test mentioned, all he changed was the mat, not anything CREATING or RECORDING the sound. In your example you are changing the thing that makes the sound, which introduces other outside variables (manufacturing inconsistencies, gain issues, impedance issues, connection issues, etc). I will concede that maybe there is something that wouldn't be picked up on a straight sweep (but very unlikely), but don't say that your example and the original are the same structure of test.
    I would think that reflections would amplify the sound which should show up on a sweep, HOWEVER, we are talking about high frequency here (short wavelengths) which means that depending on the time of the gated measurement you may not see anything as well IMHO. I feel like I heard a difference when I added a mat, I liked the change, didn't mind the looks (plus the secondary benefit of a cooler car in my case), so I kept it.

Your solution to just do a better job of aiming is also equally sound...but only in a 1-seat setup I believe. I am aiming for a 2-seat setup in my car. I tried the tweets in the kicks and I felt that short wavelegths and legs/purses were a bad combo. I tried up high on-axis and if you level matched for one seat the other suffered. I ended up with each tweeter as high and as far back in the a-pillars as I could get them, aimed about 10degrees forward of the opposite listener (around 25degrees for near side) and the natural attenuation of being off-axis nicely compensated for the close proximity of one speaker. The problem is that I gained some reflections because of the angle and I feel the dashmat helped tame some of them.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

My sig LOL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I think that dash mats look white trash... If you asked me to paint my shop pussy pink because pussy pink sounded heads and shoulders better... I would not do that either.

Basically trying to get closer to an anechoic chamber type response as opposed to a swimming pool response, when adding material to walls or surfaces a room can go from L-I-V-E to D-E-A-D.

Bass traps , carpets , upholstery , etc..,

-vs- hard wood floors with uncovered walls and windows,etc.., or tiled walls and floors in a bathroom.

I think titty pink is the ideal color, also ! :gr_grin: