Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm over CLD on the doors

I'm over CLD on the doors

Been a while since I've been down this road, but here are a few different ideas, all of which have probably been employed, yet are rarely done, to combat the deadening madness. Shoot me.
    After years of slathering on clay, deadener, rings (aka: layman's 'baffle'), and whatever else I could get my hands on I've decided it's a waste. I go through all that effort to sturdy up the door and it's still flimsy ol' sheet metal. I had to add tons of crap and dump a lot of money to ever get decent results. Time for some alternatives.

1) Make me a Sandwich!
    Instead of just attaching a ring to the door skin, try sandwiching the door skin - as much area as you possibly can - with a material of choice.
    Enter what you think fits the bill due to cost/availability/etc.

One option:
    --- 1x1ft, 1/32" lead sheeting x2. One on the backside and one on the frontside of the door skin. It cuts well with a regular ol' jigsaw, so cutting out your speaker holes is easy. Sandwich via some high strength epoxy, bolt, liquid nails, whatever. Some of you guys that have done this will have pointers here.
    Bonus with lead is it's acoustical properties: it makes things quiet. No need to worry about mlv in the doors, maybe?

Here's some good deals on lead sheeting if you can't get it locally:
    http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadsheet2pound.htm

Another option:
    Make two rings out of your mdf/hdpe and bolt them up to the door together so that the skin is sandwiched between the two.

2) Brace yo' face!
    Strapping a door skin via some steel tubing horizontally across the door to add rigidity to the door skin. Do this on either side if you can. Maybe even sandwich the door skin between steel tubing.
    Here's a picture of our ol' pal George's (aka: Geo) ride with this very thing done:
    Thread:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/425984-post124.html
    Picture:

and/or

Adding bracing behind the driver's mounting point via standoffs.
    I'm not too sure how I feel about this, as I would worry about the outer door skin flexing. That stuff's not sturdy either. Tough call, but it's a thought.

3) It's Baffle time!
    Rather than a single ring, what about making the whole door skin a baffle. IOW, take your material of choice (imagine using lead sheeting for this ;)), and cut it to the desired geometry. Maybe you're fortunate enough to mock your entire door skin's geometry with a single layer of material. Maybe you use 1/32" lead sheeting in layers to accomplish this goal. Bolt, epoxy... Or, maybe you get a hold of 1/8" or 1/4" HDPE and you can mold it to fit the door, then seal it off with silicone...whatever method suits you or you find is the best. Now, instead of having a little 6.5" HDPE ring that's attached to flimsy 1/16" sheetmetal, you have an entire surface acting as your baffle. Go the extra mile and strap it if you want.

4) You can get with this, or you can get with that
    Mix & Match the above or anything you may think of. Get funky, my friend!

That's all I got. Just some ideas I'm tossing out... feel free to chime in. Before you knock it, give it a shot. Bracing works very well for me.

/done with 'deadening' my doors.

- Erin
    Last edited by ErinH; 08-21-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Following a similar thought process, I tried to beat some contours into my inner door skins on the volvo using a ball peen hammer and dolly. The contours really stiffen things up quickly but there are likely to be interference issues with the window and door mechanisms in some areas and you have to be conscious of the interior door panel fitment.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

For my own rides I will never put drivers in a door. I can not stand the vibration my arm feels. Kicks or floor and I have had good results under the dash in 1948 and older hot-rods.

Looking at the picture of Geo's vehicle it looks as if he only has the bracing bolted once on each end. That doesn't seem adequate to prevent flexing in the middle of the bracing. I am very interested in these ideas as I will be installing the new H-audio mids/bass (when available) in my doors. The bracing idea seems easy enough. But I would think you would need more points of contact than just the two ends. Thoughts?
    The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.-Vince Lombardi

coming soon to a vehicle near you....http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/signaturepics/sigpic17_1.gif

I think that there's a screw hidden in each of those holes down the length of the brace ;)

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Whoa, cutting lead with a jigsaw? Don't you destroy it that way? A pair of kitchen scissors will go through twice as thick of a sheet like a hot knife through butter.

You're down on NHMC, but willing to spend 4x's the money on mass for lead? If the goal is to simply add mass, then why foot the extra cost? 1# of NHMC is less than $2. 1# of 1 lb/sqft thick lead is $8.

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I think that there's a screw hidden in each of those holes down the length of the brace ;)
    Okay I checked out the thread Erin linked and Geo did indeed bolt/screw all along the length of the brace. It doesn't show it it the above picture. But other pictures in the link do. I'm going to have to see if I can do something like this to my doors without interfering with the door card.

How many people are using the bb laced modeling clay idea? Results?
    The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.-Vince Lombardi

coming soon to a vehicle near you....http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/signaturepics/sigpic17_1.gif

NHMC? National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC) ???

No idea what NHMC is. Another term for cld I suppose?
    Can you cut lead with a jigsaw? I was told it's like butter. Never used it myself. I'll take your word for it.

My goal was to get other suggestions flowing. The guys with experience on these other materials will have to step in and provide thoughts (such as yourself).

Real Name
    Adam
    Non-hardening modeling clay
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg