Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinISD Tutorial

Real Name
    Adam

WinISD Tutorial

Quick WinISD tutorial.

Go to http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd and download the winISD Beta program.

Install it on your windows machine and run the program.

When the window opens, click the "New" icon in the top toolbar. This will open a "new project" dialog box and ask you to select a driver.

Select the "own drivers" radio button and then click the button labeled "new" to the right of the driver name box. This will open a form for you to fill in the T/S Parameters. Throughout the program, when you click the units of measure to the side of various text boxes it will change the units and convert the values.

Fill in the T/S Parameters and then click the "OK" button and then close the driver editor window.

Select "New" from the toolbar again and you'll be presented with the "select driver" window again. This time select the own drivers radio button and select the driver you just entered. Select "show parameters" if you want to check to make sure the data is correctly stored.

Click Next. This will bring up a small window in which you can select the driver usage (number and configuration).

Click Next again. Now you can select the type of box you want to use.

Click finish and the program will plot the gain chart for the box it calculated. You can drag your cursor along the plot to see the relative response at various frequencies, in the picture below you can see point at which the output is ~3db down.

Click the "box" tab and it will show you the box volume and tuning frequency.

Click the "vent" tab to see the vent specifications (needed for construction).

In the plot window, the various tabs will show you other plots, like Group Delay:

You can also click "New" in the toolbar again and add another plot for a different box (or different driver/box combo). In the picture below I've plotted a vented box (green) against a closed box (yellow).
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Adam why not use the newer version of WinISD?

Real Name
    Adam
    For beginners the WinISD Pro Alpha can be a bit frustrating as it does consistency checks between different parameters and sometimes folks don't know where to remove a parameter and just let the program calculated it. It's also given me a couple flaky results.

For more serious work I skip WinISD entirely and use UniBox, but it simply not as beginner friendly. For folks starting out, I'd use WinISD Beta until they get more comfortable with enclosure modeling and want to delve into addition topics like enclosure stuffing, passive radiators, etc.

Edit: I've not tried any of the more recent releases of WinISD (0.6, 0.7, etc) because the development forum seems to indicate they aren't quite stable.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Too true. I am quite happy with version 0.50a7 and would recommend it. The consistency check issue can be circumnavigated by following this:Name:  winisd1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  19.9 KB

So as long as you follow that general process and let the program do its thing with the auto-calculate, you should be good.

Of course the rest of your tutorial holds completely true.

edit:

That wasn't a very big picture attachment, despite the file being larger than that. Bug of the site? At any rate, let's try this:
    Last edited by Lanson; 08-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    For more serious work I skip WinISD entirely and use UniBox, but it simply not as beginner friendly.
    x2...

Although I haven't really bothered with WinISD for quite some time, so I can't comment on Pro Alpha.

I hate for my first post to be so elementary among what seems to be a collection of All-Stars, but I followed your A,B,C, instructions to a D (huh) numerous times and it still gives me some error pop-up. Any idea why, or do I just need to shell out the $90 to be able to measure the parameters myself? Thanks guys.

I absolutely love this site, and plan to mostly keep quiet and learn from the guys who have been teaching me for a while already.
    Last edited by Mitchjr; 11-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Welcome, I'm glad you are enjoying the site. I appreciate it when new guys speak up and ask questions, so thanks for your post. It helps us get discussion going that helps everyone learn.

Anyway, what is the error saying? Is it saying one of the parameters isn't correct? Which winisd version are you using?

In Alpha, it wants electro-mechanical parameters first (or in any case, T/S parameters absolutely last). That's the only way I can get around the errors and I found that through Googling for a solution.

Also helps to go back and delete any fields you entered if there's an error box popping up...that is, WinISD can enter them itself with enough other parameters already entered. It seems to like calculating things even if it comes up with the exact number you entered.

And I always have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the program :wtf:

Here's something I can't figure out: How, if possible, can you get a full 0-20kHz signal? Mine drops off severely around 5k or 10k, even with tweeters...
    98 Accord Sedan
    860MP | APX4241+ Enigma + Ebony | P-2100+ AE IB15

I'm using the alpha. .50a7. Im on my phone now, but let me go get on my desktop cause I forget what it said.

Ok as of right now I saved my project, I go to new project and open it, and I'm stuck. There's nothing in the graph. I'm not getting th pop-up anymore but there's no data? In the old version I would have already had a response graph. Idk