Thread: DIY Speaker Pods

DIY Speaker Pods

I wanted to share how I built speaker pods for some 3" midranges I will be using for rear-fill. I plan to mold these into my c-pillars but this can be done with a-pillar mids or tweeters as well. I like using a plastic because that is what it will be bonded to (even if it isn't the exact same type of plastic). I will use a plastic epoxy to adhere them and blend them in.

The first thing you need is a PVC or ABS plumbing end cap. You may get lucky and find one that fits the speaker exactly, but you will likely find they are too large or too small and need a solution.

Supplies:

ABS plumbing end cap
    ABS plastic sheet (I used 1/8" which you can find cheap at PE)
    ABS glue
    Adjustable hole saw or dremel (I got the one pictured at Harbor Freight for $5)
    Hot knife, dremel, or blow torch & knife (you need the gloves pictured for option #3)
    File or sandpaper...or dremel
    Brass machine screws, nuts, & washers (I used 6/32")

I started off by gluing the end cap to the ABS sheet using ABS glue:

I then cut the perimeter by heating a knife with a small butane torch. I had tried cutting ABS with just a box-knife before and it can dig, hang, and then slip which increases your chances of getting cut. This way is nice and easy. After I rough cut the perimeter, I hit it with a file to smooth it out. You should have a solid "box":

I then measured to the center, made a mark, and cut the center out. I did this by making a pilot hole first and putting the pod in a vice to keep it from kicking on me:

After that I drilled two small holes to install my DIY speaker terminals and I was done.

I plan to put a small piece of butyl deadener on the inside and a bit of cotton batting before permanently installing the drivers, but here is a test fit:

I will update this thread as I install them into the pillars, but this is the start to building some fairly easy pods.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

nice, and simple. i like it. think the resonance would be an issue? i assume the butyl deadener you used should cover that though

Quote Originally Posted by ameuba10 View Post
    nice, and simple. i like it. think the resonance would be an issue? i assume the butyl deadener you used should cover that though
    Thanks, it seems like it will fit the bill nicely. I don't think resonance would be too much of an issue with just deadener and polyfil, but if it is a major concern you could always line the inside with NHMC or Plumbers Putty.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

Real Name
    Adam
    I like it. Simple and effective. How durable is the abs glue?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I've used ABS glue to join pieces of ABS tubing when making a potato cannon, I'd imagine it would hold pretty well for midrange backpressure. LOL.
    If you're not the signal, you're the noise.