Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Multi-X, Fein Multimaster, Rockwell Sonicrafter

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    I bought the Chicago one at HF last xmax for like $25 IIRC. I just cut 3' worth of 3/8" hardwood floor with a dull and mangled blade and it still did ok.

I've used it for all kinds of stuff and would only recommend something super cheap like the Chicago for light/occasional use as the blades are crap and the tool will vibrate and fight you back when trying to go through hard surfaces if you're not patient. Too much pressure + dull blade + wood = smoke and a numb hand. Actually, if you're into "giving yourself a stranger" a la Dave Chappelle, then it would be perfect!

What I really love it for is cutting outlet holes in drywall. The flat blade pictured above goes through drywall like butter and is a lot less messier than a hand saw thingy. Super clean cut, too. A $25 tool will do this for a long time.

So I guess it depends on how much you'd use it and how much the replacement blades are. No way in hell I'd pay $200 for one but I'm a cheap bastard and a hack. :blink:
    Last edited by FoxForce; 11-29-2010 at 09:04 PM.

I too bought the one from HF, but I bought the newer one for $50 on sale after coupon. I think originally it is $75?

Anyway, it's a great tool, especially for the price. If I didn't like it, then I was only out $50 and not $200. Works for me!

I picked up the Dremel version of these tools and I have been using it for everything that demands a clean cut that i would not have clearance otherwise for. I think it's a worthy investment for anyone who does a lot of stuff hands on.

Those infomercials don't lie about how this tool will be able to help you when other tools cant....they just fail to mention that the attachments will rape you (meaning buying a ton of them) if you dull them too quick...

But i'd recommend one to anyone who wants one.
    2007 MazdaSPEED 6 Titanium Grey: Audio: IDQ 10" V.3 in IB on the rear deck, Arc Audio KS1000.1, Morel Elate 6 2W, Morel Maximo 5C, Arc Audio KS300.4, Zapco ST4 , BitOne.1 - Build Log

"If I can't fix it, it was meant to be broken"

Real Name
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    If you are seriously looking and need that little push for the Fein...:
    Fein MultiMaster Mail-In Rebate - Manufacturer Rebate Offers - Sales and Promotions

50 buck mail in rebate.

EDIT: Looks like Rockler also has the MIR for the Fein now.
    Woodcraft is giving a $25 gift card on top of the $50 rebate on the Fein until the 24th. Imo it's not even worth considering anything but the Fein. Just make sure to get the one with the quick-action blade change.

Tool snob.

Real Name
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
    Tool snob.
    There's nothing wrong with buying a tool you'll likely never have to replace as opposed to something you'll have to replace every few years.

Real Name
    Adam
    Agreed. For tools that will see a lot of use, buy high quality and buy once. On something like this, where I'm unsure of the usage level, I sometimes buy cheap (HF) and figure that if I use it enough to wear it out, I use it enough to justify spending the money on the nicer version.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    There's nothing wrong with buying a tool you'll likely never have to replace as opposed to something you'll have to replace every few years.
    Don't get your lace all wadded up Nancy. You use your tools everyday and make a living with them. In your case you should get the more industrial heavy use version. Not everyone looking through this thread uses their tools for a living and needs construction business ready tools. The common homeowner / DIYer should be fine with the less expensive, while still respected, brand names. I have the Dremel version and like it. I have Dremel tools that are 20 years old and have never had a problem. I use them once or twice a week not everyday. You just need to take care of them and not abuse them.

Real Name
    Adam
    I didn't see a single word in his response that indicated he was "wadded up" at all.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg