Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Multi-X, Fein Multimaster, Rockwell Sonicrafter

Real Name
    Adam

Bosch Multi-X, Fein Multimaster, Rockwell Sonicrafter

12v Max Multi-X

FEIN Power Tools Inc. - FEIN MULTIMASTER - The universal system for interior work and renovation 47370.

https://www.sonicrafter.com/default.aspx

Do any of you guys have one of these oscillating multi-tools? I listed three up above but there are other from Harbor Freight, Dremel, etc.. They struck me as a gimmick at first but as I look at them more I can see some utility in them, particularly for some plastic, fiberglass, woodworking tasks during an install.

What do you guys think?

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I've looked at them and I summed it up in this mindset. FOREVER I wanted a rotozip..... Then I bought one and only used it a handfull of times, it even tried to run me down and maim me once. I put one of those in that category.

Although I love my dremel I hate keeping accessories in stock, I try to stick to as few things as I can that i have to feed specialty accessories that will nickel and dime me to death.

Other than that, if you are into finer, hobby woodworking, I'd totally rock it. It just does nto seem like something I'd use much.

I had one of these:

12v Max Multi-X

It was the raging cat's ass for the things it could do: flush cutting, scraping glue, cutting a couple of slots, detail sanding. I used it to cut apart a blow molded box to get the chunk I needed ( I could not find my X-acto saw). I used it to saw a machine screw shorter (yes, a hacksaw would do the same, but this was more fun). It comes with an excellent, well thought out case.

It is an incredibly safe tool; it could not possibly chase you like Chad's Rotozip or the die grinder that once got away from me. I had two battery packs; each one was good for as long as I wanted to hold the crazy vibrating thing (20 mins?). The noise while cutting is, well, hideous.

I sold it because I finished the project it was purchased for (on impulse) and it was taking up space. I also had not used it for a few months and did not have any other projected use for it.

If I had it to do again, I would be inclined to buy the boxed set with the other 12VMax tools to get better battery utilization. It will do jobs no other tool can, it just depends how many of those jobs you plan on doing.
    Last edited by 86mr2; 11-26-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Real Name
    John
    I've used the Fein as a sander and saw, it is a tough tool. The oscillating action is easier to handle than a rotary tool like a rotozip, FG work would be a good application, I used it on wood. I wasn't too impressed with the sander, I probably asked too much of it.
    The Fein saw worked great on wood. No kickback. Didn't shake the work apart like a recip bind either. It is not for heavy work like demolition.

Cutting with the Fein made a smaller cloud of dust than the rotozip or a grinder. That FG dust is itchy stuff.

The tech taking the plaster cast off my leg had an oscillating saw. It cut the plaster easily but did no damage to the skin, very cool. Nothing like grinder rash!

If you are going to do a ton of work get the Fein, it held up well in the shop where I worked, some of us were a little hard on the equipment. I haven't used any of the others.
    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.'
    William Butler Yeats

I have the Dremel Multi-Max version of it and have used the hell out of it. That blade attachment is amazing. The sanding and other things I haven't used as much. I actually have a triangle headed sander from years ago and I'm just used to using it.

I've used the blade tip for cutting away plastic inside dashes, replacing window sills, cutting back existing crown mold to graft in a new piece, cut finishing nails in place and not hurt the wood, there's more just can't remember. The blade is very easy to control and cuts a nice fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by finbar View Post
    The tech taking the plaster cast off my leg had an oscillating saw. It cut the plaster easily but did no damage to the skin, very cool. Nothing like grinder rash!
    That was a Fein as well. Their patent expired, that's why there are so many others now.

The Fein Multimaster is considered the best of the tools, but the Bosch is cordless which was an advantage for me.

Real Name
    Adam
    The Fein Multimaster 250Q is available for $219 today from Amazon: MSS Articles - Featured Products from Amazon

The utility as a fine cutting tool is the most appealing function. Seems like that is where you guys have gotten the most use of out of them.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 11-27-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The utility as a fine cutting tool is the most appealing function. Seems like that is where you guys have gotten the most use of out of them.
    I never had a chance to try it, but the carbide rasps looked very interesting as well. They looked like a very controllable way to carve certain profiles. Rotary rasps are are a little more dangerous and much more inclined to generate undesirable waves.

Real Name
    Matt
    My dad has the Dremel, bought it when doing his house. I have used it several times - notching a 2x4 for a fuse panel in my storage building, cutting out drywall, taking out grout, etc. It is a very handy tool for a specific set of circumstances. door trim for tile/carpet, small, but fine cutting, around delicate stuff, etc.

blades can get expensive, but seem to do well for their intended purpose. Hit a nail or screw with the blade too often and it doesnt like it.

If you are seriously looking and need that little push for the Fein...:
    Fein MultiMaster Mail-In Rebate - Manufacturer Rebate Offers - Sales and Promotions

50 buck mail in rebate.

EDIT: Looks like Rockler also has the MIR for the Fein now.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 11-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.

I got the Fein built like a tank 2 thumbs up. I do not use it for audio apps(so far) I use it for sanding hard to get at places before I paint.