Thread: 2011 Ford Flex with Sony Sound

2011 Ford Flex with Sony Sound

This system is similar to the 2010 Escalade with Bose - the OEM HU has the following outputs to the OEM amp:

Front Left
    Front Right
    Rear Left
    Rear Right
    Center
    Sub
    Nav Voice

Since we had to retain the nav voice, I didn't test the HU output to see if it varies with volume. I wish I had.

The amp has the following outputs:

F tweeter L and R
    F door midwoofer L and R
    Center
    Rear door coaxes L and R
    Subwoofer
    Mono output for the L and R D pillar speakers

We tested the front door midwoofer signal -they were full range outputs, and fixed in equalization, as far as I could tell (the output overdrove my RTA even with the 30dB attenuator inline). The EQ was significant, so you need to normalize it - but you don't have to catch the tweeter or subwoofer outputs.

There was serious turn on and turn off thump. The amp took like 2 seconds to ramp up to its final voltage, and the + and - channels would not track well - so that's where the pop came from.

The amp seemed to have a 6V RTO line from the HU - but after further review, it was really getting its turn on and off signal from a CAN line, and the 6V line was sort of a mute enable which did not affect the thumping.

So we ended up using an AudioLink (my last one) in front of the MS-8 RCA inputs. We tried caps in series, 4-ohm resistors across the speaker leads to try to ramp up the voltage faster (nope), etc. We used a $35 LOC in front of an $800 LOC.

If I have another one of these to do, I will convince the customer to lose the nav voice, even if we have to use the remote control volume setting of the MS-8 - OR I will use Zapco DC amplifiers on the amp output.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Founding Member
    Pm bowdown, I have feeling its the same as the sony was in his fusion. He had some pretty detailed insight on it.
    Daily driver- 06 Tc. w205-h701. Zuki Eleets hybrid 5 channel. Peerless SDS mids, Arc Black series tweeters. Stereo Integrity BM.

Toy- 95' Lexus Sc300 Build coming soon!

I believe this is beyond my scope.

When I was researching the stock Premium Sony system I was looking to retain the headunit and run a clean un-modified source signal into a BitOne or PC. The issue is that Ford has split up alot of the signals as you are finding. Most everything patches into the Amp in the trunk. The amp handles digital signal processing for the whole show. The headunit is more of a dummy unit. You can get a clean 2 channel source from the HU but as you're finding you lose navigation voice, along with sync. If you grab signal after the amp I don't believe you will find a full range source that hasn't been messed with. The digital signal processing in the amp is terrible. Progressive EQ curves, trimming of low pass and high pass, time alignment... From what I had gathered the amp has a pretty nasty subsonic filter of about 40hz, and most information above 12khz is non-existent. Was implemented to protect the stock speakers.

If there's anything else I can help with LMK.

Here's a link to the few wiring charts I could find:

http://webmail.srsloan.com:443/dukes...on/10-05-2009/
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Sounds like you didn't test the signals personally? Just your phrasing, it sounds as i you're relaying from someone who did (?)

The door 6x8 signal is good enough to pass for full range. Using a single speaker like that eliminates any summing and any time issues. How did your tester test for time delay? I just assumed it was there. I certainly didn't see a hard 12k stop. There is rolloff, yes, but the b1 should be able to handle it. The MS-8 did.

Honestly, I didn't find Sync compelling enough to keep.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Have to take everything with a grain of salt. I believe the tester (Ferendon from FordFusionClub.com) probably tested some and assumed others. I also was able to replicate some of his findings through just use of ear and sine waves. I don't have a scope to actually map out freq reproduction. So you're running high-level front door midbass outputs into the MS8? Does the MS8 accurately handle the progressive EQ changes as volume changes? Seems odd that Ford would allow natural rolloff of the midbass but crossover the tweeter?
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s