Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Tripath - Phase Linear "Class T" Amp needs repair, or not

Question re: Tripath - Phase Linear "Class T" Amp needs repair, or not

Couple questions...

I have a Phase Linear Opus 4 Class T Tripath amp that will not power up. I ran it over to a local audio repair shop for a quick bench test and it was dead. The tech is saying it is probably an internal ground. But he had never seen, nor worked on a Tripath amp and really didn't want to crack it open.

It worked fine through about mid 2009 -- until it I swapped it out for another amp and the Opus 4 sat in my closet for ~18 months.

I've spent a little time on the phone with the nice people at Audiovox and learned that this amp isn't part of the Phase Linear line that they acquired... So they can't recommend a repair shop. There was a remnant Phase Linear company in Germany a couple years ago, but I can't find them now.

So, questions:
    1) Anyone think this is worthy of repair?
    2) Can anyone suggest a repair shop?

Thanks in advance,
    Eric
    Last edited by ecktor; 12-03-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typos, I hate 'em still!

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Worthy repair I'd say yes coz they used to run for quite a bit of money (around 900).

Try to contact Steve Mantz @ Zed or Matt (Zapco?), they might be able to help,
    Kelvin

Belive this is your amp: Phase Linear Opus 4.pdf

Yessir, that's the one.

I'll try Steve Mantz first and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestion!

I sent an Arc Audio 1500xxk (tripath) to him(Mantz) and he was unable to fix mine. But yours may be a different fix.

If it worked when you set it down, and you did not beat it up in the meantime, now it does not work, then you may have shitted up caps in the power supply and the power supply will not fire off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    If it worked when you set it down, and you did not beat it up in the meantime, now it does not work, then you may have shitted up caps in the power supply and the power supply will not fire off.
    It sat in the back of the home office closet since I removed it from my truck. So unless my son used it in some Lego Star Wars battle re-creation, then I'm going to bet on the caps.

No response from Steve Mantz yet.

I checked with Parts Express for a possible repair referral on a long shot because I noticed that they still sell a Tripath amp or two. (I thought Tripath was defunct as of ~2005 or so???). Got a response from PE, but they couldn't help.

This is also my understanding on Tri-path ^^^.

You never know who may have some old parts though.

If one of the tripath driverboards are defect, the amp is not repairable, these boards were few years ago sold out.
    But, when you are lucky, the power supply (or something else) is defect and every repairshop can fix it.
    Rob.

Reaching, but try contacting www.midwestelectronics.com. They used to service the Tri-path amps for Blaupunkt and may have parts or a direction to guide you in.
    Last edited by 12v Electronics; 12-07-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: url failure

Thanks for the input everyone.

I heard back from Steve Mantz and he's going to take a look at it for me. It sounds like he's repaired (or at least diagnosed problems) a few of these TriPath amps. The repair may end up being more expensive than it's worth, but I'm just not willing to turn the amp into a paperweight just yet.

I'll post back when I hear from Steve in the event someone else ends up looking for a repair on a TriPath amp.