Thread: Onkyo skf-540c speaker failure

Founding Member

Onkyo skf-540c speaker failure

While watching tv today I heard some lovely distortion and then my center dropped volume by about 50%. I pulled it apart and found that one of the woofers is misaligned because if I move one quadrant of the cone about 1mm in I can get the driver to start functioning again. Anybody have any clue who OEM's Onkyo's speakers? My choices for repair are either buy a random center that is close to this center, or try and find any of the front speakers and swap out the drivers into my center.

Thoughts or other ideas?

i have a punched in tweet and woofer (ah a child's touch) on my Onkyo HT and called their parts dept and replacements were like $11 and $18 or something. basically not much more than any other drivers. i looked online for a while and even asked them who or where i could buy replacements and they said i would have to go through them. probably so they make the money on the sale, but those prices aren't too bad.
    i should really stay off of forums after a few drinks.

Real Name
    Adam
    Can you pull the driver and look for any model or part numbers?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I yanked it apart and found a model number. Ordered a replacement woofer from Find Part: Appliance Parts, TV Part, Electronics Parts, Computer Parts Store.. We will see how that works out. What looked like what happened is when i was moving I must have dropped the center channel and the force of impact physically bent the woofers frame. I was able to straighten it with a claw hammer (talk about a macgyver move). It seems to be working now, but I am sure it will give out soon.

Anyone else order anything from partstore.com? Reviews weren't too bad for it, just that it can take quite awhile to get stuff.

I ordered 2 pair of Alpine SPX-17Pro tweeters from them a couple of years ago when they were available.I also ordered I believe some tweeter mounting parts for a different set.Good communication and service IMO.Great prices-I think I paid $18.00 a piece for the SPX tweeters.

Founding Member
    Cool. That's what I wanted to hear.