Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Augmented Wideband Approach to Car-Fi: What, Why, and How

Founding Member
    But he didn't reply.

(Until 2sec before I wrote that.)

His earlier comments are where the "Honda door" stuff came from, though.

I got the CA18's in my honda door with room to spare. Mine is an odd duck.

So I guess I should add, they are pretty deep, but given the small diameter of the magnet assembly they are still workable in many doors.

Founding Member
    Aura NS6 entry updated.

I have taken part in tests of widebanders in-car with test enclosures on the dash, system being constant, of the following:

HAT L4
    Fountek FR88EX
    Tang Band W3-1364SA
    Tang Band W4-1320SJ
    Tang Band W4-1757SB
    Mark Audio Alpair 5 Gold

From this, I preferred the Tang Band W3-1364SA and installed them on-axis in 0.3L dash pods in my Civic, paired with Peerless SLS6s in doors.
    I do not recommend running the w3s below 315 Hz because of it's limited .5'' xmax, and I found best results crossing at 400 Hz
    with 24db/octave slopes. The directivity of the w3s is extremely narrow on the upper octaves, so these are best to consider on-axis
    if running without tweeters.

I won't comment much on the others tested because it wasn't very scientific and the testing was not exhaustive, but I did find the HAT L4s
    and Fountek FR88s to be pretty impressive with very different sound characteristics.

I've got the Tang Band W4-1757SB. It's super detailed and would be great for off-axis installs.

Founding Member
    TB W3-1364SA and W4-1757SB added.

Founding Member
    What's everyones thoughts on running widebanders and a tweeter as a MTM setup? I am hoping this year to finally get my new mid bass drivers into the doors and modify my large ass terribly designed dash pods that currently house the DLS dome mids with the Seas rt27f tweeters. Been thinking of swapping out the dome mids for widebanders just because of the size the DLS driver requires.

Thinking that a second widebander would help with the sensitivity differences as in my case the tweeter is about 92db

Administrator
    That's a tough call. If you were to go that route, I'd suggest using dedicated midranges, and go for the extra sensitivity they would provide. However, finding a 3" midrange is kind of tough. There are some 10 cm midranges out there. That would be doable.

But if you could fit two 10 cm midranges, and a tweeter, then you might be better off just doing as many 2" widebanders in a vertical array as you could.

What about dual domes with the super small Dayton ND tweeter?

I considered a similar setup with dual Dayton Ref dome.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    What's everyones thoughts on running widebanders and a tweeter as a MTM setup? I am hoping this year to finally get my new mid bass drivers into the doors and modify my large ass terribly designed dash pods that currently house the DLS dome mids with the Seas rt27f tweeters. Been thinking of swapping out the dome mids for widebanders just because of the size the DLS driver requires.
    I think it's an interesting idea. On one hand, I must admit a probably illogical bias against MTM's. I've really only heard one sound good (Dunlavy) and that one (due to its crossover design philosophy more than the MTM-ness) only sounded really spectacular in a very small spot. (I've also not heard a bang-up-to-the-minute MTM such as Paul W's fascinating-looking Raptor.) On the other, the a midrange null focused on the dash and ceiling is probably a great idea for car-fi.

My reservation, then, is simply that getting the distances right will be tricky. IMO, you don't want one of the widebanders on a side farther away than the other on that side. With modern sloped A-pillars, getting them to actually line up seems un-stealthy at best. Or maybe not. Depends on the car, I guess. If I had a car where I thought a narrow MTM (say, two Whispers and an Aura NT1) it could work without drawing attention to itself, I'd try it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
    What about dual domes with the super small Dayton ND tweeter?

I considered a similar setup with dual Dayton Ref dome.
    I've never heard a multiple-tweeter system that sounded good to me, unless one was on the rear (Revel, Von Schweikert VR-4.5). I just think it's a recipe for comb-filtering. MAYBE if you ran them as a 1.5-way, with both of them used to extend the response downwards but one of them quickly rolling off on top.

Also, to be honest I just don't like the way dome tweeters sound. They all seem to sound spitty in the upper midrange to me now. At a DIYer event I attended last year there were lots of interesting speaker designs, and more Seas and Dayton domes than one could shake a stick at. Lots of expertise, people who knew how to design crossovers on their own and created systems of verifiable measured excellence, as well as stuff designed by John "Zaph" Krutke and Dennis Murphy (but built by others). Yet (besides the 12" dipole BMS coax/Peavey Low Rider 18 that "AJinFLA" brought) the only speakers with treble that didn't in some way just bother me were a tiny cheap and tiny mini-monitor by Krutke (4" woofer, moderately waveguide-loaded Aura tweet, relatively high xo) and a dipole panel with a B&G Neo3 and a bunch of Excel drivers under it. But others vehemently disagree with me on that point. Perhaps the big Tannoys have spoiled me, or I'm just hearing wrong now. Dunno.