Thread: Newer Denon (& RFX) CD player harness substitute.

Newer Denon (& RFX) CD player harness substitute.

Occasionally you can find a good deal on a newer Denon CD player because the harness is missing. What many people don't know is the more common Alpine 16-pin harness is the same harness and can be used in lieu of the less common Denon harness. This is also true for the Rockford Fosgate RFX model CD players.

The Alpine harness can be found on eBay for less than $10.

Below you will see each harness and how it compares to the other.

Alpine and Denon harness's side by side. Alpine on the left, Denon on the right.

Denon only:

Alpine only:

Denon pin connection diagram from a DCT-950R:

Alpine pin connection diagram from a 7837:

If you're fortunate enough to own a molex pin extractor you can remove the pins and move them around accordingly. I normally use a standard precision screwdriver to press in the pin holder so the pin can be removed. Another alternative is to appropriately label the correct wire.

Denon models that I have owned that use this type of 16-pin harness: RFX-8240, RFX-8250, DCT-950R, DCT-970R, DCT-770, DCT-850R. Models I've owned that DO NOT use this harness: DCC-8770, DCC-9770, DCC-8970, DCT-750, DCT-650. Models that I believe (from seeing pictures) use the 16-pin harness: DCT-A1000, DCT-A100, DCT-A1, DCT-R1, DCT-Z1, DCT-2000, DCT-1000, DCT-900.

Real Name
    Adam
    Are pins 1 and 10 (red wires) on the Denon both doing the same thing (switched 12V)? If so, looks like the only thing that needs to change is moving the blue/white on the alpine to the pin 11 position and add a wire at pin 3. Very easy.

Great money saving tip, thanks for sharing it.

And holy shit you have owned a lot of head units :eek:
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Good info!

Hey Jason, do you know of any aux-in iPod adapter that can run an iPod into with the Denon heads' CD changer? I getting a bit tired of the SubIntosh's limitations, and would probably go back to the 950R + pocket if I could run an iPod through it.

(Unless someone else knows of a button to get the SubIntosh to access the Clarion box's shuffle mode...)

Adam, pin 1 is supposed to be pink / white. It sure looks red in that picture, but it's the pink / white cell phone mute input. I still have a LOT of Denon decks. I just like them, not currently using any.

Jay, I don't think there is anyone that offers an aux-in through the changer for any of the Denons. Ian took apart a changer that I sent him and modded it to work as an aux-in, but that's the only way I know of. The Denons were really pre-iPod days.

Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    Good info!

Hey Jason, do you know of any aux-in iPod adapter that can run an iPod into with the Denon heads' CD changer?

I may be able to hook you up. I have that info bookmarked at work... Hopefully.

I go aux in with the ipod in my DCT-1. I don't know if the other Denons have an aux input.

Founding Member
    No, they don't. At least not the '950R. Unless one can be derived from the changer input, at least.