Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 civic Si Questions

Beghinger DCX2496. Hit pins 2/3 on the input.

Lemme get the wiring. Will advise tomorrow.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo5upra View Post
    The factory headunut has low level out thats pretty flat.
    I mean no disrespect when I ask... we know this how?

Edited to add:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo5upra View Post
    Balanced low level is what I'm almost positive it is. Volume is done via the headunit.
    So you are saying there was an external amp?

Remember, the Element with external amp is heaviily EQd out of the HU... and the Fit is heavily EQd on the speaker outs of the HU... so the output of that HU could be EQd whether it's preamp or speaker.
    Last edited by VP Electricity; 12-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

I believe others have tested the Si's output in that gen and it was flat. Not positive though.

Founding Member
    I've seen it posted elsewhere but could not find it myself. I'm pretty positive it's the same as the tsx that you posted the results for.
    Daily driver- 06 Tc. w205-h701. Zuki Eleets hybrid 5 channel. Peerless SDS mids, Arc Black series tweeters. Stereo Integrity BM.

Toy- 95' Lexus Sc300 Build coming soon!

I hope so, and don't mean to be curt - but I've been told so many times that "it's flat!" and when it's tested, it's not, that I only believe screenshots any more.

This is actually my setup [2006 Si nav (bypassing factory amp) -> PXE-H650 -> aftermarket amp(s)]. Sorry I didn't spot this sooner, been crazy busy w/ a new job.

I think there is some version of the nav system in the LX Civic that doesn't have an external amp, but I believe that all of the EX's and Si's with the "premium audio" have an external amp.

I don't have any screenshots to prove it, but I'm pretty sure that the output from the factory source (before the amp) is the same as the TSX: loudness boost below 20, flat above 20, no clipping even at full volume 40, balanced signal (I believe the user "mercman" on a few of the Honda forums has tested this, and I can at least attest that it seems true from my couple years of using the setup).

I'm using a harness from mercman which just taps in before the factory amp, and gives you an RCA output with + in the middle and - on the barrel of the RCA.

To retain the factory volume control (and since I don't need the AntEQ crap in the PXE), I feed the front RCA's into the aux RCA input on the PXE-H650. I doubt that the PXE-H650 has TRUE balanced circuitry, but it IS able to handle the balanced signal just fine on this input. You DON'T want to use the regular PXE-H650 speaker-level input harness.

There are a few tricks to setting up the PXE-H650 like this. I think there is a switch to indicate that you're using the aux RCA input as the primary input, and from my experience you'll also want to have the input gain pot turned all the way down so as not to clip the inputs (we have a "low-level" balanced signal, but it's relatively hot for a low-level signal IME).

Then after you run the Audyssey setup, go back into the PXE-H650 software settings, and turn all the gains up.

I think that covers the basics, but I'm happy to answer more Q's.
    Last edited by capnxtreme; 12-22-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Retaining the stock volume control is pretty simple, since the preamp out voltage of the HU does vary with volume setting... it's the PXE-H650 that makes it tricky - so how are you characterizing the AUX in if it's not balanced? Did you meter the shield to ground? To each other?

If you use the speaker-level harness - which should be a balanced input with attenuation in front of it - what happens? I think I know, but I'd like hear your experience.

Please note, I'm not trying to say your setup doesn't work, but I am asking specifics because I want to build both verified approaches AND technical information.

I'm guessing that the AUX in takes the shields to ground through an LC network which essentially "tosses" the (-) signal leg, so your signal is lower in amplitude than it could be, and you get no noise cancelling benefit. Either that or it really is balanced in. If it were common-grounded, this wouldn't work at all, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    Retaining the stock volume control is pretty simple, since the preamp out voltage of the HU does vary with volume setting... it's the PXE-H650 that makes it tricky - so how are you characterizing the AUX in if it's not balanced? Did you meter the shield to ground? To each other?

If you use the speaker-level harness - which should be a balanced input with attenuation in front of it - what happens? I think I know, but I'd like hear your experience.

Please note, I'm not trying to say your setup doesn't work, but I am asking specifics because I want to build both verified approaches AND technical information.

I'm guessing that the AUX in takes the shields to ground through an LC network which essentially "tosses" the (-) signal leg, so your signal is lower in amplitude than it could be, and you get no noise cancelling benefit. Either that or it really is balanced in. If it were common-grounded, this wouldn't work at all, of course.
    ^something like that

I asked Npdang about this when I was interested in the PXE. He had an Acura TSX with balanced out and he said he connected it to the AUX in as if it had diff balanced inputs.

Name:  Hon Civ 2006 radio, navigation system 2 (UQ3).jpg
Views: 50
Size:  16.8 KBThe wiring diagram shows balanced:

The kink is, the Element also has balanced but has roller coaster EQ...why I like to test