Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2006 civic Si Questions

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    Retaining the stock volume control is pretty simple, since the preamp out voltage of the HU does vary with volume setting... it's the PXE-H650 that makes it tricky - so how are you characterizing the AUX in if it's not balanced? Did you meter the shield to ground? To each other?

If you use the speaker-level harness - which should be a balanced input with attenuation in front of it - what happens? I think I know, but I'd like hear your experience.

Please note, I'm not trying to say your setup doesn't work, but I am asking specifics because I want to build both verified approaches AND technical information.

I'm guessing that the AUX in takes the shields to ground through an LC network which essentially "tosses" the (-) signal leg, so your signal is lower in amplitude than it could be, and you get no noise cancelling benefit. Either that or it really is balanced in. If it were common-grounded, this wouldn't work at all, of course.
    I can certainly confirm that it isn't common-ground (since it works fine), but sorry, I haven't metered anything. Based on what I've read, though (and what I understand of the H701), I think your guess is correct.

That's an interesting point about trying the speaker-level harness--I had never even considered it, since I don't want the attenuation, nor the MultiXT. Do you think the benefits of the balanced inputs would outweigh the drawback of the attenuation?

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    Name:  Hon Civ 2006 radio, navigation system 2 (UQ3).jpg
Views: 44
Size:  16.8 KBThe wiring diagram shows balanced:

The kink is, the Element also has balanced but has roller coaster EQ...why I like to test
    Interesting. I am 99% sure that the Civic is like the TSX, but can't find the graph I remember seeing.
    Last edited by capnxtreme; 12-28-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
    That's an interesting point about trying the speaker-level harness--I had never even considered it, since I don't want the attenuation, nor the MultiXT. Do you think the benefits of the balanced inputs would outweigh the drawback of the attenuation?
    Good point. I doubt it's worth messing with. I just saw you point out to NOT use it, and I figured maybe something bad happened if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
    Interesting. I am 99% sure that the Civic is like the TSX, but can't find the graph I remember seeing.
    It probably is, if you guys saw a graph for it. You probably found this for the Element EX (the one with a 5-channel amp and a console sub):

"Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."