Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The speaker repair thread

you take the old foam off with alcohol and put the new foam back on. on this pre-glue you will see that I applied the glue to exactly where the old foam was.

The JBL's glue to the underside of the cone, whereas most other to the top of the cone.

Neat. Would of never thought of cleaning my speakers with Guinness.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

LOL denatured alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, it literally eats the dry rotted foam away. The frames, you can clean with MEK or Acetone, you can be a bit more aggressive there.

Here's where I get my JBL foams, they also have the same density as the original foams (important) they lso have the kickass black dust dome glue.

Speaker Repair | Home Audio | Used Speakers | Speakers

Here's the other place I order from, they are polite and will combine shipping for weird orders.

GeoAli Vintage Stereo and More items - Get great deals on JBL Foam Surround Kits items on eBay Stores!

Both supply everything you need except alcohol, MEK/Acetone, and good sharp razor blades. A bag-o-cloth shop towels is good to have too.

you make it look so easy! noob question, what are the shimms for?
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla

Prbly to ensure the cone is centered before the new surround is attached.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

i was leaning towards that. so remove the surround, lift the dust cap, place shimms to center the cone, glue on new surround, remove shimms and glue dust cap. is that right?
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla

yep, yep, yep.

hmm, i might just have to try this with a cheap cracked set from craigslist

I have a set of old Petras 10" subs I need to do this to. I wonder if Solen has refoam kits? (<-thinking to myself there )