Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The speaker repair thread

Founding Member
    Yeah, it is definitely biting good. Is there any way to fix that? It is possible that the basket was slightly deformed. Would straightening out the frame fix that possibly? It is obviously not an exact science by this point...

Gonna have to let Chad field that one, my thoughts keep drifting to BFH...

Founding Member
    Update: I can grab the magnet by hand, and turn it in relation to the basket. It can also move slightly non-concentric around the center "axis" of the direction of cone travel. There are certain positions where I can adjust the magnet to let the cone move in and out slightly, but definitely not smoothly. I can feel it rubbing against the windings...
    Last edited by 94VG30DE; 02-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.

it's centered before the magnet is put on, it has a hell of a bite because it's strong as fuck. The only way to do it right is to null out the magnetic field glue it up, center it, when the glue dries let the field rock again. A BFH is just going to slam it to the other side.

Call OCS and see if they will do it, they have done a metric shitload of JBL 2240's for me.

Founding Member
    Yep. I can definitely get it to move to the other side, but never perfect, due to the crazy strong magnetic field in relation to my tiny human arms. I will call OCS, as it looks like a "magnet-recenter" is only like $55+shipping. Hopefully these sound good enough to warrant that. I'll finish reconing the other one and then make the call.

What is the grease that they put in around the magnet? Looks yellow, and would have had to be available in 1977, because that's the last time that dust cap came off ;)

"It Works Every Time!" Landau Karlissian's Avatar
    Did OCS accept the woofer? They told me they don't do car audio drivers.

Founding Member
    I talked to someone at OCS, who handed the phone to an older guy, who sounded like he knew what was up. He said they should be able to do it, but they have to do a full recone, which means all the soft parts get replaced. Not only is that more than double the cost I was anticipating paying, but they recommend doing in pairs, since replacing the spider etc makes the likelihood of the two speakers sounding very different very high. This means that I am now at 400% of what I intended to spend on speakers that I was planning on selling. That's a tough pill to swallow. I'm leaning towards floating them on CL/forums, and seeing what the internet turns up as far as flexible buyers.

The good news is that the one surround repair I completed does actually sound really good. I like the way they sound, they just really don't fit the form factor I'm looking for in mains. I will throw some pics up later. They turned out really good for it being my first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Landau Karlissian View Post
    Did OCS accept the woofer? They told me they don't do car audio drivers.
    Because the douchebag/dumbass quotient in the car audio world is high and they don't want to screw with wanna any crybabies. Can't say I blame them.