Thread: New OE interface product - Audio Control LC2i

New OE interface product - Audio Control LC2i

This just came out, and looks pretty interesting. We are installing one in a car over the next week and will report the results.

It is a 2-channel in, 4-channel out active LOC. I called and spoke with an EE at Audio Control to get some specifics:

- the "400W" input means 40V at the input terminals

- The standard 9V out from the RCA outs

- There is a throughput and a bass output

- the bass output can be controlled by an optional level control knob
    -- it can serve as a sub control
    -- it can serve as a volume control if need be

-It has a signal sensing turn on circuit that apparently, unlike AC's initial turn on circuits, and unlike most cheap ones, has mirror image circuits on the + and the - input legs. They said that they had come up with a way to make it work better than most, but they were also very clear that it won't work with every OEM signal. I already knew that, but I'm glad they did too

Finally, the feature I'm trying to test: "Accu-Bass".

The EE was not the guy who worked on Accu-Bass, so he would not speak to directly about it, but here's what it seems to be - a way to address some cars with dynamically-rising subsonic filter corner frequencies as volume rises.

The way it does is is apparently with an expander with some sort of frequency shaping filter. It seems from my testing to be centered at 40 hz.

You are supposed to "listen" to when the bass starts to go away, and then use the two adjustments to get it back. It appears that Audio Control has finally accepted that car stereo shops aren't buying RTAs

This approach means that the LC2i is tryong to deduce, by the system reaching a certain voltage level, that it's at a given volume setting - a tricky inference to depend on - and then engage gradually the expander as voltage increases above that point.

Now, I'm not sold that this is the right solution, or that it works well. The car we are putting it in does not have such a problem, so I tried to fake it a little bit. I saw added energy centered at 40, and the car's 30 Hz subsonic was completely unaffected. To be blunt, I'm not quite sure how to adjust the two knobs (Accu Bass and Accu Bass threshold) if I do run into a car with this feature.

But it might work. A Honda Fit or an Audi non-Bose or a VW Monsoon system could be good test sleds.

I don't want to knock this thing for its one feature that may or may not be any good. It's a well made 40V-input active LOC/line driver, and in my testing it passed the signal amazingly unmolested (pics to follow). It puts the MTX ReQ to shame as active LOCs go - I would not use one of those in a car with a high-power amplifier like this BMW harman kardon system - and the signal sensing worked great too. I look forward to using these in future, and will report on listening tests next week.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    I look forward to using these in future, and will report on listening tests next week.
    Any updates on this?

I have a 2011 non-JBL Toyota Tundra and would like to keep the OEM front-end, if possible. The LC2i seems like it's the way to go, as my truck suffers from volume-dependent EQ.

Would like to hear your thoughts. My plan is to send the front signal from the AC unit into my FRX-456 crossover. Subwoofer channels will be fed from the LC2i's bass output.

It worked great in all the cars we've used it in. Sorry I forgot to report back. The volume knob is not in the kit, is needed seperately.

Just out of curiosity, have you measured the output to confirm that the volume-dependent changes are not just an auto-loudness function? Are you saying that the non-JBL head unit lacks a full-range output? Have you tested the rear channels? (Some Toys I've tested had full-range on the rears).
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

It worked great in all the cars we've used it in. Sorry I forgot to report back. The volume knob is not in the kit, is needed seperately.

Just out of curiosity, have you measured the output to confirm that the volume-dependent changes are not just an auto-loudness function? Are you saying that the non-JBL head unit lacks a full-range output? Have you tested the rear channels? (Some Toys I've tested had full-range on the rears).
    Probably a dumb question but... why is the auxiliary "volume" knob required? I thought of this as a "bass boost" functionality and dismissed it.

And no, I have not measured the output. (No access to tools to do so... yet)

Real Name
    Adam
    I'd really be interested to see how this unit works. It would be cool to feed it a flat signal, measure output variation as you adjust the controls and then vary the volume. It seems to me that one of those two control knobs has to be adjusting the rate of change for some dynamic eq function (my brain is telling me to call this a second derivative as it's basically dSlope/dVolume).
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

What would be the best way to go from the stock premium Kicker system in a Chrysler 300 to an aftermarket amp? I'm considering one of these to take the signal from the factory Kicker sub amp and go to a mono amp. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

More AudioControl LC2i info

Just a 'lil bit more info for the searchers. I have just used one of these for OEM integration in my WRX and the info available and/or included with the thing is sparse at best. Here are some excerpts from my conversations with AudioControl Support.

ME
    If I were going to run a 4 channel amp with 2 channels to the front components and the other 2 bridged to the sub and then run the rear fill off the headunit or not run it at all, would there be any advantage to getting the lc6i over the lc2i? It seems like I wouldn't need the extra two channels and since all the channels on my stock head unit are full range, the internal summing capabilities of the lc6i would not be put to any use. Does this seem accurate?
    AC
    Hmmmm....... yes, Rob, I think you are on the mark.

ME
    Ok, another question.
    If I was going to get a lc2i (did already actually) and a 2xs (looking), should I just get an EQX instead to simplify my install and get EQ for about the same price? I noticed that the EQX has internal summing capabilities but doesn't have Accubass... I'm assuming this is because with the EQ I could just pump up the base wherever in the audio spectrum it is necessary? I was under the impression that the amount of bass boost the lc2i adds in varies with the signal it is receiving in real time.... is this the case? Does that mean from the actual OEM integration aspect (my Subaru stereo is terrible) the lc2i is actually a better choice than the EQX, eq and crossovers aside?
    AC
    The EQX doesn't have any summing functionality but it's a great way to crossover and EQ the full range signal from the source. It combines the features of the 2XS and the EQL into 1 unit!

As far as the LC2i - it's a good piece that will do you well in your application (especially when coupled to the EQX). The assumption though is that you can get a full range signal from the factory system in order to send the converted full range line level signal to the EQX.
    You are correct in the LC2i's accubass feature - that it varies in real time with the input strength and factory bass roll off. This varied accubass will even out the bass response for factory systems that roll off the bass at higher volumes so that as you turn up the system, there isn't that annoying roll off just when the systems starts getting loud.

The LC2i is a better solution to the factory system if it has this roll off. If not the EQX is a good solution because it includes the EQs and crossover. But both solutions assume that you have access to a full range speaker level signal from the factory system.

Hope that helps!

ME/AC (AC answered in-line)
    Hi Erik,

I am not convinced that my car tapers off bass as the volume increases. For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume that my car does not taper off bass. Let's assume that I want the bass frequencies to go straight through the unit unmolested.

Consider it assumed.

From what I've read, this means that the Accu-bass threshold adjustment should be turned all the way clockwise?Yessir Should I have the Accu-bass level knob set all the way down then?Ditto Or should it be set in the middle?Nosir

There is also a "Bass" level adjustment, what does this do in relation to the Accu-bass?Nothing. It is merely the gain adjustment for that output channel How does the "Bass" level effect the remote bass level knob?It does not. The knob is an attenuation adjustment from +0dB to -19dB and not a gain adjustment. What output(s) are impacted by the "Bass" dial?The Bass output.

Finally, for the main level adjustment, even when I turn it all the way up with my OEM stereo turned almost all the way up, the maximize light never comes on. I have a pretty low powered OEM head unit, probably only 8w per channel, is this the reason I never get the signal all the way up to the full 9v?You are correct, Rob. Where does this mean I should set the level at?If you can pin it without clipping then leave up. If i turn it all the way up, it seems to introduce a bit of a noise floor into the system. Should I just set it at 3/4 of the way and then adjust my amps from there?Then you are right on with the 3/4 and amp adjust. How can I tell how much voltage I am actually getting to then?You can get a decent little multi-meter at Radio Shack for less than $20.00. You will be reading AC voltage from one RCA output.

ME/AC (AC answered in-line)
    One more though.... Is it correct that both outputs are sending out the same signal, except for the level of the signal based on the individual gains and any attenuation to the bass output due to the level control?In some ways it is a crossover. The low freqs are split out to the Bass output, but yet they remain in the full signal going out the Main (This has since been revised by AC. Please see post 10) IE. Accu-bass processing and any other signal alteration happens to the signal going out both outputs?Yes, but no effect with the settings you describe.
    Last edited by 02bluesuperroo; 08-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Any idea who it was?

Any idea who it was?
    Erik A
    erik.a@audiocontrol.com
    Last edited by 02bluesuperroo; 08-19-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Here is a little more clarification that I just got:

ME
    Do you happen to know the type/slope/frequency of the low-pass crossover that is applied to the bass output on the lc2i. My guess would be 90hz given other AC products but I'd like to know for sure.
    AC
    Misunderstanding on my part, Rob. Not actually a crossover. A bass boost between 30 and 100 Hz with slopes on either side at 18dB/octave exists on the Bass Output. Both outputs contain the full input signal aside from the boost difference.