Thread: 2006 Lexus IS help with MS-8 integration

2006 Lexus IS help with MS-8 integration

Just got the MS-8 installed in my IS350 and still working through a few issues. The biggest problem I have right now is a nasty turn-off thump. Andy Wehmeyer said I need to interrupt the turn-on for the factory amp and have the MS-8 turn it on/off, but I canít make sense of this wiring diagram, and knowing my luck will seriously screw something up. Anyone got experience with this? I have the non-ML system with navigation. Hereís the diagram:

http://members.cox.net/electrobuzz/L...%20Diagram.pdf

Thanks for all help. Iíll be sure to share all findings with this setup.

This is just a guess, but it looks as though the amplifier receives power all the time and is connected with everything else in the audio system to the vehicle's computer system. It would be turned on and off by a signal in the data connection giving it a command to turn on/off. This is how most GM vehicles (among others) have been doing it for quite some time. If this is true, I would assume that interrupting the accessory power would cause problems because when it's turned off it would look like the device is missing/malfunctioning to the computer and would trigger a code within the system. You might need to look into a vehicle integration adapter for an aftermarket HU and use the MS-8's turn-on lead in place of the aftermarket HU's amp turn-on lead on the input to the adapter. Again, this is just a guess because I'm not familiar with the specific car/audio system, but from looking at the schematics it's my best guess.

Andy has said things like that to me too, and it hasn't necessarily helped.

That amp is turned on and off by CAN data on the CAN network. P 542, pins 7 and 8 on the Amplifier.

So you don't get to choose when it turns on and off, at all.

I had similar T/O thump issues in an MS-8 in a Ford Flex with a CAN-controlled amplifier. The amplifier had a very slow ramp up to full voltage and the + and - legs would not track each other's voltage closely enough to avoid the transitory thump.

If you're lucky, it's only one channel that makes the thump. Which amp outputs are connected to the MS-8?

What happens if you disconnect the RTO input of the MS-8, and use a short wire or a paper clip to hold it on? So you force the MS-8 on, then you turn off the key and count to five, or however long it takes for the Toyota amp to shut off, and THEN take the 12V off the RTO input, does the thump go away? I suspect it still does it.

If it does <edited to say, if that does solve the problem>, then you will need to get some kind of timer that does that for you. A TR7 from PAC might do it, and a 528T from Directed with the loop cut would do it too.
    Last edited by VP Electricity; 12-27-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Alright, here's an update on this bitch.

I tried a couple of VP Electricity's suggestions. I also took it to a local pro and he looked at it/talked with a source at JBL, but wasn't able to fully resolve the issue. What we did find:

Interrupting the MS-8 turn-on doesn't eliminate the thump. We tried all OEM hi-level input channels individually, and they all create the thump. What did help was adding a LOC's on the OEM outputs and using the low-level inputs on the MS-8. It didn't eliminate it completely, but reduced it significantly, as long as the LOC line levels are not turned more than half up. An LC6 might work better. I think I've blown some speakers already though.

A couple of other issues... I've always had a noise floor, but this thing isn't quiet. When we had only individual input channels hooked up, you could hear hiss and popping in the other speakers that shouldn't be heard, like when the sub signal is the only input and LP'ed at 80hz, noise is present in the mids that are HP'ed at 500hz.

Another one...I can't run the setup and calibration with the HU DSP position setting at all seats or off as it's supposed to be. I can only get "ok,ok,ok" when it's set to driver position. Andy suggested this was a sampling rate issue with the HU and may be addressed with a software update.

It seemed like the MS-8 was largely developed and debugged on a Lexus IS, so I wasn't expecting these types of issues. I'm trying an LC6 or similar next and if that doesn't work, it's coming out.

Thanks VP, for the help.

MS-8 turn-off thump solved.

I picked up a used LC8 clone (Cache Audio COE8), installed it in front of the MS-8, and used the low level inputs into the MS-8 and tada... thump is gone, even if I turn up the inputs levels on the COE8. The noise floor seems to be reduced as well.

I also received a firmware update from Andy that's supposed to correct the sampling rate issue, and also contains an enhanced autotune algorithim. I haven't tried it yet.

That is great news!

I have a sneaking feeling that some MS-8s, perhaps later production, are not handling DC on the inputs as well as other MS-8s, perhaps later production? Hard to say from here. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that worked.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."