Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Audible Physics XR3M Wideband Drivers

I bought these directly from Mark Brooks. I am hoping to bring them with me to the meet in Raleigh on the 22nd, so you might be able to hear them in the car.

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks for the specs/plots, Kelvin.

Jason, in your listening do you find the 1-3khz range to be pretty balanced? In the plots it seems like there is a pretty decent rise around 2khz and a little impedance hiccup at 1khz, but I'm curious as to whether it results in anything notable during listening. The sealed alignment for your testing might make a difference as well.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Vet View Post
    I bought these directly from Mark Brooks. I am hoping to bring them with me to the meet in Raleigh on the 22nd, so you might be able to hear them in the car.
    awesome, i cant wait. ive got a few upgrades i hope to finish by them myself
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks for the specs/plots, Kelvin.

Jason, in your listening do you find the 1-3khz range to be pretty balanced? In the plots it seems like there is a pretty decent rise around 2khz and a little impedance hiccup at 1khz, but I'm curious as to whether it results in anything notable during listening. The sealed alignment for your testing might make a difference as well.
    Well Adam, they sound very balanced and well behaved to me. I noticed those items on the graphs as well, but I would need some more 'experienced' ears on them to point out in the listening a correlation to what the graph is showing. Large room and largish enclosures might have something to do with not hearing potential issues. Do you have a track in mind that might illuminate this area? 'Spanish Harlem' comes to mind, but I'm not sure I want to subject them or my dog to that.

I was just sitting here enjoying a mug of Kona from the press, and Handel's 'Water Music, Suite No. 2 in D' came on the Classical station (cable). Gorgeous horn sounds (trumpets and French horns), Harpsichord was heard in the background, the Violins had good resolution (not a bunch of angry bees), and very nice bassoon foundation. Again I'm impressed with the volume of sound I'm getting from such small speakers in a large room, even at lower volume levels.

Administrator
    I'd really like to see harmonic distortion. That's a pretty big sweep for 1-2khz (almost 6 db). I'm assuming no baffle step compensation was applied to the drivers, that's going to change the response dramatically, so the response will be noticeably different from the manufacturer graph. That's why I'd like to see a harmonic distortion plot. Mainly at the peak around 2khz, if it doesn't propagate as 3rd order HD, then it's nothing a little EQ can't fix, if it's still present after baffle response is applied.

Looks like a beefy little driver.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

I don't know if this would help in the least, but I did get this additional graph from Mark - 'amplified' view from 500 and up. Unfortunately I don't have the software / hardware to do any distortion plots or in-car response plots.

Real Name
    Adam
    I tend to notice the 1-3khz region as being the culprit of a fatiguing sound when listening to something with electric guitars, agressive vocals, etc.. Y-Control by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a track that I would describe as fatiguing when that particular range isn't smooth or is a little hot. Not a typical "audiophile" test track by any means but it's one that has highlighted the issue for me before. I think it's on the CD I gave you at the GTG.

If these aren't too terribly expensive I might consider picking up a pair for the site so we can get some distortion measurements.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

yeah that rise there can make a BIG difference. I'd just EQ it out anyway... because I'm not a purist

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I tend to notice the 1-3khz region as being the culprit of a fatiguing sound when listening to something with electric guitars, agressive vocals, etc.. Y-Control by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a track that I would describe as fatiguing when that particular range isn't smooth or is a little hot. Not a typical "audiophile" test track by any means but it's one that has highlighted the issue for me before. I think it's on the CD I gave you at the GTG.

If these aren't too terribly expensive I might consider picking up a pair for the site so we can get some distortion measurements.
    I will certainly listen to that track tomorrow. Last night I was switching sources on the home system, and 'The Stone' from Dave Matthews, Live in NY City (from Citi Field) came on. I waited a bit, and was amazed when the baritone sax came in - extremely strong response. I'll listen to that track tomorrow in the car with the proper crossover setting.

Concerning testing.....might be a little too pricey - don't know if Mark would have a pair to lend for this. If he doesn't, I might be willing to lend mine to you for measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    yeah that rise there can make a BIG difference. I'd just EQ it out anyway... because I'm not a purist
    I'm torn. lol.

The problem with that region for me is that the 2-2.5khz region is what really gives most tracks some nice snap to them and helps add to the dynamic feeling. The flipside is that if those are too hot you've got a very fatiguing experience.

I typically try to notch that region out, and then slowly start adding it back in.

Coincidentally, it seems that reflections in this band is a mother for off-axis (ie: firing across the dash) setups. In my previous version of the install, if I had the seat back at a reclined position I would get direct reflection of 2khz right into my ear drum. Hurt like hell. Slide the seatback up one notch and all was gone.

OT: Alright, who is going to set up the ATL gtg?! You guys are making me want to start listening to more setups again. The itch is coming back!...
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!