Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Audible Physics XR3M Wideband Drivers

Those are good points Erin. I agree with your comments around 2k.

We are certainly having a G2G in NC in the Spring - will have to see about going down to Georgia - had a great time at the last meet.

Well guys I must say your worrying about the graph a little to much. This is one reason I'm not a graph guy but a real world listening guy. That rise you see does exactly what Erin says it does, adds dynamics and snap. These drivers are far from being fatiguing and any way. Smooth, detailed and accurate with the right about of warmth. But if for reason that range is to hot, which i just couldn't image it would be, just cut it by 1 or 2 dbs and your be golden.

I working on someone do the distortion test on them. I have no worries about the results. It is a outstanding designed driver and sound amazing and I have no worries about it will measure and perform great.
    "Its All About What Sounds Right" and "Music At Its Purest

Mark A. Brooks
    H-Audio /Audio Physics Inc. USA

what? mark... us worry about graphs!? nah... never. ;)

I think we all realize that it's going to sound different in the car. Personally, I like the overall trend of that driver. I'd like to try them myself in my wife's next car.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Adam
    I'd go a step further and say it's not worry, it's just acknowledgement and the only real result thus far is that it allows us to ask some better questions of Jason since he's actually hearing them. Like MVM noted, BSC could play a big role in the real world differences versus the plot and as Erin noted, obviously the car environment is going to be a big difference as well.

So thank you for the data, Mark. I think we all benefit when data prompts some thoughtful discussion as it has here and it obviously allows us to make some more informed decisions about proper usage of the driver, which results in better sounding cars, which will ultimately help you sell more drivers.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'd go a step further and say it's not worry, it's just acknowledgement and the only real result thus far is that it allows us to ask some better questions of Jason since he's actually hearing them. Like MVM noted, BSC could play a big role in the real world differences versus the plot and as Erin noted, obviously the car environment is going to be a big difference as well.

So thank you for the data, Mark. I think we all benefit when data prompts some thoughtful discussion as it has here and it obviously allows us to make some more informed decisions about proper usage of the driver, which results in better sounding cars, which will ultimately help you sell more drivers.
    I can agree with you there. That is the reason for me trying to get them tested, just hard it not cheap and most want to keep the drivers. With what it cost me to have those little monster build I really can't afford to give any away at the moment. But more data is coming. Hope I can get it all up on the new website when it is done.
    "Its All About What Sounds Right" and "Music At Its Purest

Mark A. Brooks
    H-Audio /Audio Physics Inc. USA

This afternoon I was able to take the little (actually not so little) boxes out to the car. I hooked up the speakers to the barrier strips that were connected to the tweeters. It became immediately evident that they were not going to sit on the dash (the inside of this car is always bigger in my mind than it is in reality).

So, my wife and I were going to hold the speakers in place – that lasted about 2 minutes, when my wife started suggesting other alternative plans. I tried taping the box up there – no so good – then she found the box in the picture and it worked perfectly.

The next ‘disappointment’ was in the head unit. When I first installed the Pioneer, I discovered that the midrange output had to be used (just the way they have the thing configured). I connected the midrange rcas to the portion of the amp driving the mid bass drivers, and the high outputs to the tweeters. When I connected the XR3M’s to the tweeter speaker wires, I could only go down to 800 hz for a high pass. So, I low passed the mid bass at 250 hz and high passed the midranges at 800hz with a 6 db slope. I could probably reconfigure a little bit temporarily to have the sub outs to the midbass drivers, and the midrange to the midrange – and not run the sub (I mostly had the sub muted today anyway).

Tried to tape in place - No Go.

Jenky - but worked

Off-axis

Crossovers - Mid bass Low Pass 250 Hz @ 24 db, Mid range High Pass 800 Hz @ 6 db

Shot of one of the tracks played

I can totally see now with the drivers in a small confined space where tweeters may certainly not be needed. There is an extreme top end that I haven’t heard on other widebanders that I have listened to. It was a bit variable due to the source – some tracks were a bit ‘hot’ – could be dialed down a bit on the top end. Most of the tracks that I played had the perfect amount of top end (for me). Most of the listening was with the drivers pretty much aimed at the dome light (sort of), and some listening off axis. I listened to them with the EQ at the setting from my last tune (voice was nicely centered), and with the EQ flat.

Overall impression – I am extremely pleased with the sound! The midrange sound is amazing – very lifelike – pleasing – smooth and detailed. I listened to several jazz tracks from ‘A 20 Bit Taste of DMP’, and female vocalists were perfect. A lot of good sax sounds and percussion. I played a few tracks from Adam’s mix disc – the snare snaps on Crash Test Dummies, ‘How Does A Duck Know’ was razor sharp. Natalie Merchant’s ‘San Andreas Fault’ was very intimate, full rich voice. ‘Somewhere, Somebody’ from Jennifer Warnes was excellent – the timbre of the three voices were spot on, and nice detail with the triangle. I then checked another female vocalist, Brooke Fraser’s live, ‘The Sound of Silence’ – excellent fullness of her voice with an extended breathiness of the top notes, and detailed strings. I ended with a couple tracks from the Zac Brown Band – specifically ‘Martin’ from You Get What You Give. Excellent strings, but the drivers did a fantastic job with Zac’s vocals

Today’s listening session demonstrated a few things:
    1) I need to get the correct crossover points to really test the drivers.
    2) It would be much better to have smaller enclosures (like the pvc elbows that Steve used when he tested several widebanders) so that I can stick them in the corner of the dash.
    3) These drivers are true widebanders – very extended top end.
    4) 50 watts are plenty in my small car to get good dynamics with these drivers
    5) I’m really going to like these drivers in my set up – I can’t wait to get them permanently installed.

so are you planning on running without tweeters?
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by ameuba10 View Post
    so are you planning on running without tweeters?
    Undecided - will need more time in the car

Hooked up the new Fugly PVC 'Enclosures'. They fit on the dash, I can aim them a bit better, and I can find them in the dark because of the Duck Tape.....

I listened for a bit - I'll do a little more listening tomorrow am and post some comments. I did move the rcas so I was able to bandpass the mid bass drivers 40 - 250 Hz and the mid range 200 - 20 kHz. Much better!

Real Name
    Adam
    Nice little pods. Those should give you a really good idea of how various aiming and placement options work.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg