Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Review: Audible Physics XR3M Wideband Drivers

Thanks Adam - not very pretty, but they will get the job done for now. Listened to them all day on my desk - very, very nice - even in such small 'enclosures'.

Quote Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post
    I spent about an hour in the car tonight and a few more impressions. I futzed with the high pass crossover on the XR's, and I really liked the 250 Hz @ 24 db slope - better then some of the higher points and shallower slopes. We'll see if others fell the same way. I just feel there was a bit more body to the sound, but of course that was with the mid bass drivers muted, so I might listen again with the points changed and the mid bass playing.

For the majority of the listening, I had the following parameters set:
    1) No tweets
    2) No sub
    3) Mid range from 250 to 20k @ 24 db
    4) Mid bass from 40 to 250 @ 24 db
    5) XR's in the corners as much as possible - pointing between the rear view mirror and dome light
    6) Gains on the XR's (50x2) set at 2, and gains on the mid bass set (160x2) set at a hair above 0

Some impressions of the music I listened to tonight:

MJ - Thriller
    Great imaging with the footsteps, door, etc. - everything nice and high above the dash. This is one of the tracks that show off the ability to play high.

Straight No Chaser - accapello (sp) tracks - fantastic reproduction of the voices - great separation of the individual singers. It was interesting to note that the lowest voice was still mostly on the mid bass drivers with these crossover points (noticed the same thing with Boys II Men track).

Diana Krall - Look of Love - I think these drivers are in love with her - the couple times I listened to her on these I was very impressed. The wires striking the cymbals didn't really sound any different then hearing them with my tweeters. Her voice sounded better to me on the XR's then with the mid bass drivers

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk - I muted the mid bass and was surprised at the amount of percussion that was playing through the XR's. Even though it isn't much, I think it is pretty cool to have some percussion above the dash

The following tracks really showed off the high range:
    Men at Work, Cassandra Wilson, Rage Against the Machine (great upper bass guitar sound with the mid bass muted - no fatigue with the elec. Guitar)

The stand out albums of this listening session were Alana Davis and Marc Cohen which I'm
    going to make sure I bring to the meet on the 22nd. The drivers excelled on the voices, the piano of Cohen, and acoustic guitar

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some other's ears in the car, and I'll ask for them to chime in on this review.
    It is amazing to me (as an old fart) that I can copy and paste from one forum to another using my phone while waiting on a plane to disembark. Fascinating tech!

I'm sure anyone looking at this thread probably saw my build log, but I'll add a couple pictures here anyway.

I am extremely pleased with the sound from these Widebanders. They sounded very good with a flat eq and a little TA, but sound superb with a little eq.

A short review from a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by minibox View Post
    I just got back from Jason's after a long listening/tuning session and couldn't wait to write about these drivers. We spent only approximately 20 mins tuning and then listened to a wide range of music for about 3 hours. The capability and range of these drivers is like nothing I've heard in car audio. Jason had them set at 10k and, at one point while listening to Nils Lofgren, up to 20k. The depth, clarity, body, and presence of the guitar was truly unbelievable. The shimmer and brightness of cymbals were all there without a bit of harshness or fatigue and the crack of snares was crisp and defined. There was a distinct and focused smack from the beat of a kick drum on the dash and vocals were high and centered. With a crossover point of 10k and the smooth response of the drivers, it took little effort to focus the image while still maintaining tonality. I've heard Jason's car multiple times before this install and was impressed each time, but these drivers take it to a new level. I've drank the Kool Aid; I'm sold. I never thought I'd say this, because I love my thesis drivers, but it's more than likely that Audible Physics will be in my car at some point.