Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Audible Physics XR3M Wideband Drivers

Review: Audible Physics XR3M Wideband Drivers

Disclaimers:

1). I have looked on this forum and have not found a review other than Kevin's (Finebar4 - Look Ma, No Tweeters on DIYMA) - I don't want to step on his review because these are a little bit different then the protos that he has.

2). These drivers are not installed in my car yet - will be in a couple months - just want to give some preliminary impressions.

3) I'm not an expert reviewer - don't have all of the cool vocab to explain what I hear.

Review:

I purchased these drivers without seeing them and without hearing them. I was prepared to purchase a couple other brands of drivers, spoke to a close friend who suggested that I call Mark Brooks before purchasing. Mark has heard my car, knows the other equipment I have installed, and has a sense of my goals for the overall sound. After a conversation with Mark, I made the decision to purchase (he sent me pictures of the drivers later that night).

I received the drivers while visiting my In-laws for the Christmas Holiday. I took these crappy pictures with my phone.

As Kevin stated - the build quality is phenomonal. They are heavy - with a substantial magnet / motor structure. This may deter some due to more difficulty with installation. The Rosewood Phase Plug aesthetics really is something that I appreciate - may not be for everyone, but I think it is pretty cool.

I borrowed an integrated amp that I had sold my Dad a few years ago - that I had bought back in High School to 'test' the drivers. Well, of course the amp is on it's last legs - not sure what the problem is. The sound from the drivers was very good during the few minutes the amp supplied sound.

My Father-in-law and I crafted up some small enclosures to mount the drivers. We had limited tools for the job, and it was extremely cold working outside on Christmas Eve. We used some 3/4" white pine he had laying around, not the ideal for speaker boxes, but it worked fine. The enclosures are approximately 2 L's internal space, and a moderate amount of poly fill was added to each box.

I am extremely impressed with the sound from these drivers. As expected, they have a very wide frequency range - good bass sound for such small drivers, and wonderful highs - good cymbals, harp, flute, piano, etc. My favorite quality of course is the purity of the vocal reproduction. A couple nights ago was my first chance to listen to them, and I played a new album that I received for Christmas, Zac Brown Band, You Get What You Give, and the drivers reproduced his voice extremely well. They were fantastic with the acoustic guitar as well. This album was played with the drivers in a near-field position - on the small tables with me on

The other morning's listening was with the album 'Winter Solstice II' by Windham Hill. I placed the drivers on top of the B&W's. These little drivers filled the room, and the clarity of various instruments was exceptional.

Last night, I listened for about an hour with the drivers connected to the 'B' section of the Sony ES2 Receiver with moderate volume still placed above the B&W's. I listened to a couple SQ mix cd's that I am familiar with, and a Dispatch album that I am very familiar with.

Here are a few impressions that I had:

1) The drivers reproduce the vocals very well (duh!). Two artists in particular - Diana Krall (The Look of Love), and Cassandra Wilson (Come Into My Kitchen) - perfect reproduction of the nuances of their voices. I also listened to a few very good acapella tracks (Boys II Men - Yesterday), Straight No Chaser - Rehab). Very good clarity - no edgyness / grainyness - smooth, with detail.

2) The drivers have a wide range up top - I think most will never miss their tweeters depending on installation and musical preference. Great electric / accoustic guitar sound, cymbals, violin, etc. - without any harshness / fatigue. Of course, these are being played in a very large room, not in a small 3-Series BMW that they will eventually be played in.

3) They have a nice bottom end as well - played some L'orchestra de Contrebasses - got some of the stand up bass lower tones - did very well on the low vocals from Boys II Men, even did admirably on The Fairfield Four, These Bones.

4) My favorite set of tracks that I auditioned was from Dispatch, Silent Steeples. There is a lot of accoustic guitar, percussion (mostly hand drums, bongos, etc.), and three singers with very clear voices. It is a re-mastered disc that is very well recorded. This is probably going to be the first disc that I will listen to once I get the drivers installed and the first one I will play when I get the 'final' tune done.

Summary (so far) - Great purchasing experience (speaking to the owner of the company who knows my vehicle and discussing the potential benefits). Aesthetically, even better than expected and build quality that to me, is fantastic. The drivers have an extremely pleasing sound to me - smooth and detailed (this has been remarked to me a couple times with my current set up in my car, so theoretically, these drivers should be a good addition - barring anything strange with the installation / amplifier).

I am very much looking forward to hearing these drivers on the Class A bias front stage of the Audison LRx 5.1k - should be a very good match. I am planning on installing them at the base of the A pillars of my 2002 BMW 325i.

those look like great little drivers! great writeup on them as well. but im having problem finding information on them, such as dealers or specs.
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks for the review! They are very nice looking drivers. What is the list price?

Do you have any specs or plots for them? I trust your listening impressions but I'd just like to compare them to some other widebanders (specifically w/ regard to sensitivity, BL, Le, and physical dimensions).
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks for the review! They are very nice looking drivers. What is the list price?

Do you have any specs or plots for them? I trust your listening impressions but I'd just like to compare them to some other widebanders (specifically w/ regard to sensitivity, BL, Le, and physical dimensions).
    I think Mark has the FR/Plots for them, but not fo' sho'. Just emailed him to check.
    Pioneer - Helix - Kenwood - Fountek - SEAS - xtant - Phoenix Gold
    Team EMD - Team Show Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Whitledge Designs View Post
    Jon Whitledge wishes people would focus on the value and significance his work rather than nitpick about things that are inconsequential.
    :thumbsup:

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks, but I'm unable to view that link. I was banned for posting a link to an MSS thread in response to a question over there.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Kelvin
    * Loudspeaker Measurement System
    * LMS(TM) 4.5.0.331 二月-12-2003
    * (C)opyright 1993-2000 by LinearX Systems Inc
    * Electro Mechanical Parameters
    * Reference Curve=Sweep
    * Delta M/C Curve=Sweep
    Domain= FreeAir
    Model= TSL
    Revc= 3.400 Ohm
    Fo= 164.684 Hz (True 3 db down)
    Sd= 3.421m M?
    Krm= 62.171m Ohm
    Erm= 0.345
    Kxm= 219.378m H
    Exm= 0.140
    Vas= 615.167m Ltr
    Cms= 370.168u M/N
    Mmd= 2.408m Kg
    Mms= 2.523g
    BL= 2.6 T
    Xmax= 5mm one-way
    Qms= 6.94
    Qes= 1.35
    Qts= 1.127
    No= 0.197 %
    SPLo= 85.773 dB 1w/1m

Kelvin ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks, but I'm unable to view that link. I was banned for posting a link to an MSS thread in response to a question over there.

Spammer!!

Thanks Kelvin for posting those for me - I've been remiss at checking for posts over here. I'm still listening - hopefully I'm going to get a little time tomorrow to temp wire them in the car in their huge boxes - just tape to the windshield or something. Should be interesting to get the correct freqs going to them in a small environment versus the large living room. I'll update if I get a chance to do it.

where did you pick these up from?
    “The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.” - Nicholas Tesla