Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power tool storage cabinet ideas

Quote Originally Posted by FoxForce View Post
    Bought 3 of these over the weekend.

$45 OTD. Not the epitome of construction, but for the $ and 15 minutes I can store a LOT of shit on them and they're adjustable. I had planned to build shelving like you rock stars, but skirted out when push came to shove cause I'm burnt out construction ATM.

I figure 100# per shelf, dead center (maybe more if spread out) before it needs external support/bracing it or it falls over.
    Is $45 a typo?
    STI<>GTO

Steve - what's wrong with copying the magazines design? Right down to the rolling cart? Do the side-by-side design with the two most oft-used tools located at the same height as the top of the cart. Then, you can still store the shop vac under the rack along with the cart.
    STI<>GTO

Founding Member
    I already have a rolling cart with folding wings for miter outfeed.

I can't copy the magazine design for the cabinet because the window is in the way. And if I could get it to fit 100%, then it would come at the cost of hand power tool storage.

I'd be looking to put probably three bench tools in the cabinet.

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickVS View Post
    Is $45 a typo?
    Not when you apply "NEATO."

Real Name
    Adam
    I like wire shelving for areas that get dusty. Easy cleanup

One idea I'm considering for my own tool storage is a French cleat system where the wall has permanently mounted rails and then I could build a series of storage units to mount and move around. A storage unit could be as simple as a five sided box or it could have multiple compartments or even have fold out storage for screwdrivers/router bits/etc..
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I like wire shelving for areas that get dusty. Easy cleanup

One idea I'm considering for my own tool storage is a French cleat system where the wall has permanently mounted rails and then I could build a series of storage units to mount and move around. A storage unit could be as simple as a five sided box or it could have multiple compartments or even have fold out storage for screwdrivers/router bits/etc..
    I know Rubbermaid makes a track system with the rails. But I've heard the attachments will kill you when they start adding up. No idea how much they can support at all, just sayin.

I also like the 5 gal bucket caddy thing. Holds a lot of shit.

Founding Member
    Thought about the French cleat system but gave up on it because at the end of the day I have 10 feet of wall in my shop and that is bisected by my bandsaw, meaning I have two 4 foot sections, it's a waste of my time.

But fox, especially if you have even a cheap table saw, consider french cleat over bought solutions. You buy 1x2's at 50 cents a foot from the big box, set your table saw to rip a steep angle, then create the cleat on long strips and mount to the wall.

I plan on mounting my computer LCD to the wall like this. forget those $100 wall mounts for TV's, I can do the same with $10 of red oak and some table saw time.

-----------

As for the wire racks, I think they are the best racks money can buy but never for a dusty space. stuff doesn't sit level and there is SO MUCH SURFACE AREA for dust to settle. So I can't blow the dust off because my junk will blow away too for not sitting level, and I can't clean it any other way because there's too much surface to deal with. I use them in the house whenever possible because I think they are quite attractive, but if a leaf blower can't blow the dust out my garage it's time to reorganize.

Real Name
    Matt
    Fox, cleat system is better than the store bought rails, IMO. Dont waste time on the store bought ones unless you need a VERY specific item they offer.

Good little video about what it is, and a few good ideas for starting out. French Cleat Wall Storage System - by thewoodwhisperer @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

And on the LCDs:

Mono price makes LCD mount building a waste of time, and makes going to a local store a slap in the face:

For only $6.86 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Adjustable Tilt & Swivel Wall Mount Bracket for LCD | LCD Wall Mount Brackets

Founding Member
    so, here's the design I went with:

Corded Tool Storage Cubby - by Vincent Nocito @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

That design and joinery just with el chup's layout:
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...po_/shelf1.jpg

The bottom is 16" deep for the deep tools, the top is 12 inches for the narrow tools. Skinny width is also 12 inches, the wide section is 17 because that's what my gun cabinet width is.

I'll put up a picture when I finish it. I don't want to show the in progress because it's garage cabinetry, not interior cabinetry. So I used pine instead of hardwood (Which will never, ever happen again), didn't care much about chipout, didn't plan for a backer (a mistake later rectified), sanded halfassed, not sure if I will finish and if I do, minwax only, etc etc etc. In short, it's rough around the edges.

On the other hand, I am thrilled with having my power tools centrally located and off the floor/bins/workspace. And I have the ability to put doors on it in the future to keep eyes out. I can see now that with my new to me dust collector I will have no more issues in my shop concerning dust. Ever. Holy smokes.

OK, one crappy cellphone pic from a distance to hide the unfinished look:

upper shelves @ 6 inches, lower shelves @ 4 inches spacing. Still have 2 shelves open for the future, and relocating the drill press for PCB making will give me space for 3 more tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 02-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.