Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power tool storage cabinet ideas

Founding Member

Power tool storage cabinet ideas

hi guys. I need to put together power tool storage in the shop, badly. I'm considering using a shelf or cubby system like so:

But vertical because that's what I have to work with right now. My first thought was buy a ton of MDF since I can throw a series of modular boxes together that stack any which way, it would be really easy and convenient. But thinking about it 2x4 construction seems like a better idea because they are just so darn cheap. However, I'm not sure I can visualize how to build a 2x4 based shelf designed for easy power tool access.

For those of you who do not store your power tools in their plastic boxes, how do you keep them organized?

Is the Dangle Wire Box necessary in your eyes?

Founding Member
    nope, I can keep the cord with the tool. I do plan on adding extra cubbies somehow so I can keep belts near the belt sander, blades near the jigsaw, all the crazy accoutrement that go with rotary tools, etc.

We are on the same page. I'm thinking vertical too and with 2X4's I'd like to somehow "peg it" so that it's adjustable, or use a heavy-duty adjustable rack rail. Adk=justable would allow for incoming/outgoing tools and maximize space. I'm QUICKLY running out of space and I have 10' ceilings out here.

Real Name
    Matt
    I have been thinking of the same thing, vertical as well. My design is basically this layout:

With the gray being 2x4, the red being some panel for the side/back. Basically 4 posts, tied together in the front/back/sides (between posts if needed for a door)

The side panels should keep everything square.

Then put in a 2x4 front to back nailed/screwed into the side 2bys and put a 1/2" shelf. If the shelf is less than 24" wide, 1/2 should be plenty strong for anything I want to lift up there... I was really thinking 16" would be enough for most tools.

Should not be too difficult to build a simple 32" wide "base" about 2' tall. Brace it in the back, but not front - big for wider tools, then do two of the above shelves on the top, hinge on each side. Basically a 32" wide 8' tall storage cabinet for tools, ~16" wide each side. Or even 10" wide one side, 22" one side, etc.

Like this:

Would be very simple to rip a sheet of 1/2 ply wood for a door, a simple hinge on the side - or keep it open for ease.

and for the shelf braces you could rip a 2by down to a "2x2", or "1x4" for space, though rarely are tools square at the top where the space is needed.

Founding Member
    I've thought about that exact design, but rather a series of shelf supports at regular intervals, or simply rabbets taken out of the 2-by. But there's one thing. If we are putting panels on the side anyways, would it simply be cheaper to make the whole thing out of MDF? back to square one

How much is hardboard? 11 bucks for 4 by 8? and MDF is what, 20? if the 2x4 is 2 bucks a pop, I need to use less than 5 or so per sheet good to still come out ahead?
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 01-01-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Founding Member
    OK, maybe you guys can help me hash out the best possible design when given a constraint because I'm racking my brain to come up with a good way to utilize this space. Here's the deal. When I put my shop together I basically ignored this corner and did not take advantage. I thought I'd put dust collection here or something but hasn't worked that way just yet. It's all free space but awkward. Here it is:

Dark, but basically what I use it for now is shopvac and gun locker. gun locker has to stay in this corner if at all possible. Desk is an old throwaway, so it can go. Shopvac can find a new home too if needed. Ideal cabinet is like chupo's but minus the double wide at the bottom:

I like this design for many reasons. If it is tall enough or wide enough, the gun locker can go inside the cabinet too. The wider side is storage for bench tools, the narrow side for hand power tools. For bench tools, I use a multi-tool stand with all my bench tools on captured pads that sit inside. Like this:

So the wide side wouldn't even have shelves, just the 1x2 or 2x2 supports that those pads would slide into.

So here are the ideal design criteria that I can' figure out how to keep all of:

- Critical: keep the damn window. I like the natural light. I can move the window around if need be, but I want as much sunlight in my shop as possible.

- ideally have a wide shelf side for the bench tools.

- fit my gun locker inside. I am not worried about long term gun storage at this time (aka oh shit I need a fire safe and it wont fit the cabinet anymore. not a concern right now)

Trying to fit all this in that space and be accessible isn't easy. I'm open to ALL SORTS of tricks. Like making it swivel on casters and gate hinges (like my lumber storage) or putting it on drawer slides, etc. You can see in the pic there are two yard sticks, the space is about 3x3 foot.

----------------------------

Here's another caveat. The house is wonky on this corner, meaning the stucco is gone and the exterior is a plant of wood. like this:

There has to be an opportunity here somehow. I have dreams of building a low shed right there with lots of soundproofing to hold a real dust collector then port it into the garage by boring a 4-6" hole right through this space. So if a cabinet is in this area, it would be nice to think about how this space my be used in the future as a facilities bulkhead to the backyard/shed storage space.

Too much? how would YOU use this corner space?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Founding Member
    I'm not sure the bench tool idea made sense, here's a magazine pic to explain it:

So no bench tool has a permanent home, they all use the same cabinet on casters and are permanently mounted to an MDF pedestal of exact dimension to plop into the rolling tool stand. For storage they slide into the tall cabinet.

If you are me you use that lower space in the rolling cabinet to hold a popular bench tool.

It's that cabinet I'd like to incorporate into the hand-power-tool cabinet (that also holds the locker)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Matt
    How many tools are we talking about with the multi-stand?

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Bought 3 of these over the weekend.

$45 OTD. Not the epitome of construction, but for the $ and 15 minutes I can store a LOT of shit on them and they're adjustable. I had planned to build shelving like you rock stars, but skirted out when push came to shove cause I'm burnt out construction ATM.

I figure 100# per shelf, dead center (maybe more if spread out) before it needs external support/bracing it or it falls over.