View Poll Results: Which midbass?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midbass #1

4 80.00%
  • Midbass #2

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Based on specs which midbass would you choose and why?

What exactly is the roll of the suspension (or Qms)? Isn't the suspensions job to bring the cone back to rest when power isn't present?
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Real Name
    Adam
    It's primary function is to control the path of the voice coil to keep it centered and prevent any lateral movement. To some extent it provides increasing resistance to cone excursion as the driver approaches the limit of the suspension (which is likely to be near the limit of the voice coil's range of motion within the gap). The cone motion is damped by both the motor and the suspension. The suspension compliance and mass do have an impact on resonant frequency and sensitivity among other things. The most critical attribute of a suspension, IMO, is that it be symmetrical and not cause any driver offset at rest.

I vote driver #1 as well. I'd consider #2 if the only problem was the sensitivity, or if the only problem was low power handling. Having both issues, as it does, remove it from consideration for me.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 01-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Does a VC at rest naturally want to find a neutral state in the throw or is it up to the suspension alone to find a middle throw position?
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Founding Member
    What is your desired freq range and output goal?

2nd, what is the SD (surface area of driver)?

Have you modeled them in WINISD pro or Unibox?

Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    Does a VC at rest naturally want to find a neutral state in the throw or is it up to the suspension alone to find a middle throw position?
    Without input it rests where the suspension tells it to, in motion, playing say a constant tone it's zero is at the center of the VC. So in other words, on a shitty designed speaker where it's rest position is not the center of the VC you can see s difference in cone position at say 2K versus no input. It will almost look like DC offset, but it's not.

This is often times why you see me question those building "frankenwoofers" out of willy-nilly parts.

Midbass #1 is 7"
    Midbass #2 is 6.5"

Freq range is in my first post. 80hz - 450hz.

Very interesting. So the voice coil has no magnetic charge unless powered. Though maybe there was some sort of magnetic gap that might of centered the cone vertically.

Only graphs I have seen are they ones included in the manufactures spec sheet.

The dirtiest way to check for an open VC in the field. Move a cone up and down with your hand, drag your keys across the terminals while doing so. Go do it.... so simple that it's foolproof. You check for rubbing and an open VC all at once.

a bit OT here, but doesn't the Qts play a role in how well a speaker will do in a sealed yet leaky door? i've read this and that states that a rather high Qts is desirable for a door although in my studies i've read that .4 - .5 is good for a door application. according to chad's one post a lower inductance seems like the thing to look for. however in my random assortment of notes i found thathaving an inductance of .5 is desireable. ugh its late.

i suppose the heart of what i'm getting at would be what are some of the key specs to look at for a midbass installed in a door in a two-way and three-way setup.
    i should really stay off of forums after a few drinks.

Week old thread, but I agree with Adam. With sensitivity that low, it needs more power handling.
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.