Thread: I think this guy could use some advice

I think this guy could use some advice

I found this guy's thread on that other forum. I think he could use some advice from someone knowledgeable about interfacing. It sounds to me he is going to spend unnecessary money.

Quote Originally Posted by nochancemrp View Post
    Yeah I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck, literally. I blame Subaru for this. They screwed us 05 Legacy GT (US) owners out of upgrading anything factory radio related.

So I have to order a JDM installation kit that separates our AC controls from our radio, and order a JDM hazard light button unless I want a quarter sized hole in my console, which is a no no. :blush: Right there is $400 down the drain just so I can add a head unit. :mad:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1112129-post25.html
    Last edited by 86mr2; 08-25-2010 at 12:08 PM.

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Wow, sorry to be the sourpuss...but who gives a shit?

Like I want to log onto this site and read about this? HERE? Someone telling us someone needs help on a forum no one wants to visit or cares about anymore.

Sorry, no interest in MSS if this is the deal.

Kisses,
    Fox

I was suggesting he needed help - but go fuck yourself you tiresome, prissy, self-important clown.
    Last edited by 86mr2; 08-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxForce View Post
    Wow, sorry to be the sourpuss...but who gives a shit?

Like I want to log onto this site and read about this? HERE? Someone telling us someone needs help on a forum no one wants to visit or cares about anymore.

Sorry, no interest in MSS if this is the deal.

Kisses,
    Fox
    What does interest you about this place? We're brand new, with no appreciable member base, and people are scouting out for potential members that are having technical problems, but getting horrible advice on a forum that you HATE, owned by an owner that you HATE. Yet, you don't think we should be out recruiting, or advertising ourselves.

I understand that your private forum works for you, and for us. We're going to try and bask in the sun for a bit, and see how long we can ride this horse, if we can even get it to run.

The reason DIYMA is attracting noobs is because of false marketing/advertising on Ant's part. The noobs don't know any better. They don't know the site has been a cesspool for 2 years now. So, if a noob comes along with a real problem, then we want this to be the place they come for good advice. Letting them wallow in the muck over at DIYMA doesn't do them any good, and doesn't do us any good.

I dont know how you want the forum run, but wouldnt the proper thing to do be to PM the guy and let him know if he wants real help to come here? Instead of posting links on other forums of people that need help? Because lets face it, lots of people on that forum and many others need help. If we just go over to these other forums and volunteer our help there then we would just be continuing to promote their sites and not this one IMO.

I posted a pair of links to other sites the guy could try. I also posted here in case anyone qualified wanted to give him a hand. If someone wants to volunteer, that is their prerogative and who cares where, as long as the guy gets helped? As it turned out, the guy didn't seem too interested. Some good, clean chiding/entertainment resulted. It was a good day.

The idea is for people to learn that there is another public source of technical information. PM's will not do that. The point of this site is really to get back to scientific, technical discussions of car audio and to dispel myths. To do that, people gotta know it exists.

Administrator
    This is always kind of dicey in the beginning with things like this. At what point are you whoring yourself by slathering links everywhere to generate clicks? I don't know the answer.

I think 86 got it fairly correct. It was a technical issue, where we have, courtesy of VP Electricity, a very well laid out thread that discusses, in detail the issues the OP was having. In a case like that, I don't see it as any different than providing a link to any information that the person could research, anywhere. In other words, it was pretty strategic.

I would caution against just posting a link to this forum and just saying it's where all the cool kids hang out. Let's attract new members by offering information that's just not available somewhere else.

We have two great threads already that can do this. The widebander thread by DS-21, and VPs OEM Integration work. Both are very linkable, and neither exists at any other forum (other than VPs personal forum OEIntegration.com).

It's content like that that will draw people here. I think somebody said, rather sarcastically, "oh great, another forum where I can go and see all the same information I can see on all the other forums". There's enough truth to that to be disturbing, and I don't want to be that. We keep our integrity, keep it about the science, have healthy debates, and act like adults and we'll be a place where intelligent people will want to come. The fodder can stay in the places where they feel comfortable.

In the case in question, the OP was not very interested, and obviously wants to be spoon fed answers. But somebody may come across that link that wouldn't be intimidated intellectually by a complex write up and maybe make their way over here. It could be somebody that hasn't said a single word on the other forum, but is just there to find answers to their questions.

I'm not opposed to hand selecting new members, and contacting them via PM, either, which would be the right thing to do if it was an unsolicited.

Either way, it's going to be slow going for a bit. It's on us to generate insightful content to make the place appealing. That's our mission for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    We keep our integrity
    Fixored!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mr2 View Post
    Fixored!
    Edited. Ooops! Actually a typo that reads that completely changes the meaning of the sentence, while still staying grammatically correct. I only I can screw up so well.