Thread: How to extend the distance between screen and controller board?

How to extend the distance between screen and controller board?

My fusion has a headsup display for the SYNC system, and other vehicle information. Well the unit itself is a bit bulky and I want to install the screen in one location and the controller about 1ft from the screen.

Looking at the connection it's a 12pin compressed spade style. I haven't see anything like it, and doubt I can find a connector to match both ends to create an extension cable. So my next idea is to solder 12 wires from one end to the other.

I know people have done this, and I have done my share of soldering (replacing laptop power connectors, motherboard caps) but this is a bit small.

Anyone got any tips for me before I jump into this?

Last edited by BowDown; 01-17-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Use a "third hand" (I don't know if that's the right name for it in English, it's basically a stand with some adjustable clamps on it) to hold the wire in place, so you have both hands to work with.
    Use the thinnest solder-wire you can find and a soldering station with a very sharp tip.
    Be very very patient. If you feel you might lose your patience, step away for a while.

I haven't done this before myself, but that's how I'd do it.

Isabelle

Use the third hand to hold the board, tint he wire then use one hand ont eh wire, one on the iron.

Real Name
    David
    get one out of a wrecked car at junkyard to experiment with first, before you hack into yours.....