Thread: Need a streaming device

Real Name
    Matt

Need a streaming device

I am returning the Boxee. I dont want to wait on Netflix - March is looking like a possibility...), and I am not liking it as much as I thought.

At this time I am considering:

Apple TV
    Apple Mac Mini
    Google TV (Logitech Revue)
    Dell Zino

I dont think I want to build a mini computer, but I can find a Zino or Mini for around $400 bucks.

I want to stream Netflix, and probably some Hulu, need to watch old episodes of TV shows we miss.

I would like to stream music, but not a deal breaker.

I have a LCD monitor not being used in our office. Both wife and I use laptops, so it is just sitting right now.

In reality, the Apple TV will probably satisfy my needs, but I dont want to pay to watch TV shows. If I can access free stuff from Hulu or the network sites, I would be sold.

Ideal set up - Mac mini in the office. Use as a "HTPC" but with use for photo editing and such in the office, some word processing, etc.
    I can run a cable in the attic to connect to the receiver. Streaming of Netflix and music, using TV as second monitor, audio through receiver.

I dont know enough about Macs to know if this is reasonable. I assume it is, but you know what they say about assuming.

So tell me pros/cons about the ideas, and tell me where to go.

On a side note - I intend on getting a network storage device, connecting it to my router for wireless access to all storage. Intend on getting a few DVD's ripped for a small media server, then stealing all my friends DVD's and adding them to the collection, so I wont be streaming all the time. I like to browse on the computer while watching TV/movies, and with limited speed due to DSL, it would be nice to have some things stored on a HDD rather than streaming.

Real Name
    Matt
    Also, anyone tried Plex?

Plex for OS X