Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Alabama GTG #4: April 16th, 2011.

North Alabama GTG #4: April 16th, 2011.

Well, almost a year to the date of the last GTG I had, I'm having another!
    Been wanting to do this for a while but with the addition of a little one, I was unable to do anything last fall. But, I'm back!... and ready for another blast with some friends. So, let's get this party started!!!

This one will be on Saturday, April 16th at my house. Date is firm. It will not change. Hopefully everyone who wants to make it will be able to. I'm posting this up early so folks can make sure they're off work if they want to come out.

Anyone who wants to come out to talk and hang out with fellow car audio enthusiasts are more than welcome!

To those of you who missed the previous ones, here’s some more info:
    Official Bikinpunk North Alabama BBQ headcount and supplies thread - DIYMA.com
    Official Bikinpunk North Alabama BBQ headcount and supplies thread - DIYMA.com

Where:
    Decatur, Al 35603.
    E-mail or PM me for directions. My email is: hardisj@gmail.com.
    NOTE: If you have ATT or Verizon, you likely won't get a lick of service within a 1/4 mile of my house. So, keep this in mind. I've had people get lost and not been able to call and ultimately having to drive around a bit until they got service to call me for further directions.

Decatur is approximately 1 hour from Birmingham, 2 hours from Nashville, and 3 hours from Atlanta.

When:
    April 16th, 2010.
    10 am - Whenever
    Most folks from out of town get here early and stay late. The locals get here a bit after noon. You're welcome to stay as late as you'd like.

Hotel Info:
    If anyone is coming from out of town and wants to get a room, I can suggest the following hotels. I recommend booking in advance if you can, just in case. Decatur is a hot spot for baseball and softball tournaments in the spring. If there just happens to be one going on that weekend your odds of getting a room are VERY slim. I mean VERY slim.
    Most of these are decent. Microtell is cheap.
    Many hotels within 5 miles of my house... they are all right in a row practically. Chris has stayed at a couple of these and he might have something to say about them.

Food:

Likely going to be ordering Pizzas and taking donations for simplicity. I'd love to do bbq again, but it's just a lot of work for my wife and she won't be able to setup this year like she has the past few times.
    I may ask others to bring drinks and snacks. Otherwise, feel free to grab lunch or whatever you'd like on your way in. I won't be offended.

Items you might want to bring:
    • If anyone has a pop-up canopy for shade please bring it, and please let me know here if you can.
    • Don’t forget to bring a lawnchair.
    • Any gear you would like to bring to either sell, test, demo, or whatever… do it. Amps, drivers, gear you want to test, etc, etc. Whatever.
      I'll have a computer in the garage for people to use in case they need access to paypal, etc.
    • Bring your laptops with your RTA setup stuff. If you have any questions about that stuff, we can show you rather quickly and easily how to get your gear up and running. If you have any questions about buying some gear to get it up and running, check out Jorge’s $100 RTA thread here:How to make your RTA with $100 dlls. - DIYMA.com
    • If you can think of anything you might need, go ahead and bring it with you.
    • Bring your camera and take pictures so we can share the fun!

I’ll have some sort of little ‘tip’ jar out if you’d like to help me offset food costs. I appreciate folks donating in the past. It really helped me set off my costs quite a bit.

Signup:
    Put your name below if you plan to attend. Feel free to bring guests (family, friends, etc). All are welcome. We'll get a final tally the week before as it's certain some people will have to back out at the end... such is life. But, let's try to get an idea of who's going to make it.

1. Erin (bikinpunk)

I hope to see you all in a few months!

- Erin

*crosses fingers that the whole 'April Showers' thing doesn't hold up. ;)*
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Alan
    Where do you live?

Hayden, Al.

Getting close! I have some stuff I was thinking about bringing down to offer for sale at the GTG. I wanted to get an idea in interest before loading my car down:

1.) MLV: It is 54" long and I have probably 20+ feet left. I would let it go for $6/ft.

2.) Lead: I have a 2lb./sq.ft. sheet at the house. I believe it is 3'x4' but will have to confirm. It cost me around $100 after shipping, I would let it go for $50. It is great for lining your doors. It is 2x as heavy as MLV at 1/2" thickness.

3.) OS Sony ES Sub in Original Box: 12" and $50. If anybody is seriously interested, I'll use my WT3 to pull the T/S for them.

4.) Pair Dayton RS225 BNIB*: $45 ea.

5.) Pair Dayton RS180 BNIB*: $40 ea.

* The Daytons will only be sold if I have a buyer(s) for all of them. I'm past the 45 day window but PartsExpress agreed to give me credit (minus return shipping at 10% restocking). I'm basically asking what I'd get from them in credit. I know it is only $5 per speaker off their pricing, but it is a savings and they are frequently out of stock so I think it's a fair deal.

6.) Lastly, I have enough Neutrik connectors and gepco for 8 channels of amplification at (I believe) 12ft. length each. I would let the bundle go for $35.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

Next Saturday is the big day so here's an updated list. I've forgotten some names, so please feel free to tell me. A couple people can't make it, but a couple others can. If your name isn't on the list or your status is different than what I have, please let me know and I'll fix it.

1) Erin - bikinpunk
    2) Mark - Audible Physics
    3) Ashley - ashman5
    4) Chris - Hillbilly
    5) Blake - Scionboxrox
    6) Jason - papacueball
    7) Scott - Alpinem
    8) John - Pionjek
    9) Chuck White - StereoLuver
    10) Kirk - AcuraTLSQ
    11) Paul - PaulD
    12) Jason - ImJustJason
    13) Al - BigAl
    14) Lee - pyropoptart
    15) (?) - strakele
    16) Jack - JacksonP
    17) John W - SynrG
    18) Nick - Nar93da
    19) Scott - peg legs
    20) Jason B - bertholemey (driving all the way down from NC!)
    21) Fletcher - cobalt232
    22) Jim - iroc2nv
    23) ??? - ocblaze
    24) Ryan - slade1274 (strong maybe)
    25) Ben - Honda (maybe)
    26) Steve McIntyre - customtronic (maybe)
    27) Charles - sssnake (not confirmed, but he lives close enough to drag here)
    28) ??? - Forson (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
    Just got off the phone with the sound engineer. He's coming over Friday to set up the speaker systems (he's bringing two ) in the garage. We're gonna do some placement of carpet, and acoustic panels to help with the reflections due to the concrete floors. I'll post pictures of the setup next Friday night so people know what to expect.

I really hope the weather stays nice.

Please let me know what time you plan to arrive. You can get here as early as 10-11am. I just need a heads up so I know not to be slaughtering cows in the front yard barefoot and in my whitey tighties. I don't wanna scare anyone off. :laugh:
    If you need to get here earlier for some reason, PM me. I'll try to be available early. Most likely I'll be cleaning out the garage or the test room anyway... you can help! :o

Make sure to remember to bring
    • Chair(s)
    • Gear to sell/demo/test
    • RTA setup if you have it. If you don't know how to use it, we'll show you. Lots of people here know how to run TrueRTA. Just bring a mic and whatever needed to power it and download the 1 octave version of TrueRTA and we'll go from there.
    • Snacks if you need them (see below).
    • Power supply for your car or for someone to borrow if needed. I've got jumper cables. ;)
    • Camera to take pictures with. I always appreciate it when people post pictures of GTGs and installs/etc in other threads so would appreciate someone taking some for me and posting them up. I'll try to take some myself but I usually get too wrapped up in talking to remember to take any.
    • A good 'tude.

Lunch:
    Given that most people will get here early afternoon, I think we'll shoot for a mid-day foodage at around 2-3pm. I need you guys to let me know when you plan to arrive so I can figure out the lunch schedule a bit better.
    If you want to bring some snacks for yourself or to share, please feel free. I'll have pizzas and coke/dr. pepper/water. If you need anything outside of that, you might want to bring it.

Don't forget to email or pm me for directions/address.

And don't forget what I said about cell service being crappy with AT&T and other carriers. T-Mobile is the only one I can verify since that's what I have.

Driver Testing:
    Klippel stuff should be firing up *hopefully* by the end of next week. I'm taking next Thursday and Friday off to get ready. Gotta clean the dang house. Noes!!!!!!
    Will be working on the klippel stand next week so everyone can see that and the Baffle Test Stand for FR/distortion testing. I'm working my butt off to be completely done by next Saturday but it's going to be tough. Probabably won't be able to test much that day, but I should at least be able to demo whatever I have mounted on the wall so people can see how I do the FR/distortion testing and I hope to have a sub mounted on the klippel stand so people can see that testing in action.
    I think it would be great for everyone to see what is behind the data that will be posted.

Real Name
    Alan
    I plan on being there around 6AM.

I'll leave the key in the mower and the gas can next to it.

Founding Member
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Man, that's a lot of people! I bet y'all will have a real good time. I'm looking forward to reading what people have to say about other's systems. Oh, & PICS !!!

I never freaking remember to get pictures but I'm going to try. I've asked in my thread multiple times for people to take pictures and post them up for me.

I just hope the weather is good. Especially in the morning when Al is mowing. Nothing like clumps of grass to really slow down the mowing process. :mad:

Real Name
    Alan
    I'll make sure to sling the dog poop towards the house.

I'll be bringing my canopy, so if you want me to come early to help set up, let me know.