Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (semi-) dipole in car?

Crossing higher wouldn't do anything since the dash is really SHORT (the mids don't even fit properly without sticking out:wtf:... In other words their depth is greater than that of the dash:p)

The other option would be kickpanels, but I want to make it a 2-seater, so that's ruled out too... (and I wouldn't need to go the dipole-route, which would blow the "unique-factor" right out of the window)...

So these are the options I have:

- vent into dash (fucked up dash and no unique-factor)
    - closed (blocking too much of the view)
    - kickpanels (can't be a 2-seater in that fashion)
    - dipole (reflections all over the place that can be tempered at best but not ruled out)

All but the dipole setup don't have the unique-factor, and since competition is a bitch here and nobody believes in DIY, I really want to blow them away with something special.

Another option would be venting into the A-pillars, but again this would not be something I am actually concidering, unless I have to.
    Thinking outside the box is how knowledge is broadened

Unfortunately mine doesn't look as sweet as the one in my avatar:cry:
    SAAB 900=> CLARION HX-D2, CLARION APA4300HX(x3), DAYTON IB385-8(x2), Hi-Vi M8a, TANGBAND W4-1337, DAYTON ND20fb
    Future SAAB 99=> McIntosh HU + amps and some drivers

you keep talking about venting or using a stuffing of sorts to tame reflections. all of these methods negate the OB/dipole purpose. You're then just getting back to the typical stuff... a lot of competitors vent elsewhere or use a membrane of sorts to change impedance.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay your idea. You just seem to have conflicting notions here regarding dipole and venting/stuffing.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

As I said, remove the windshield...
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.

Was typing a reply when my router crashed for a change....

@Erin: I fully understand that what I'm trying is not a real dipole, but I'm only trying to figure if I could mimic it somehow.... Clearly not.
    I could go and pick one of the conventinal ways, but I'd rather not for the same reason this community likes to step back from the convensional car-audio: I just want to see what's possible to take it to a next level...

I know people are gonna say: "there's a reason for people doing this or that or such"
    I guess we all had our share of people that said: "Home-audio is for home, not for car!!!" "Non-specific car-audio CAN'T WORK in a car!"
    Well in the BeNeLux area, people are still that old-fashioned, because no one dares to prove them wrong (There's literally NO ONE that even remotely tried to prove there's more to car-audio than meets the eye!)

What I'm aiming for might be a leap too far, but nothing keeps me from trying at this point. In a car there ALWAYS will be trade-offs... The question is how much they matter. In this case the trade-offs are many, but that's why I asked.
    Last edited by Xenia; 01-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.

SAAB 900=> CLARION HX-D2, CLARION APA4300HX(x3), DAYTON IB385-8(x2), Hi-Vi M8a, TANGBAND W4-1337, DAYTON ND20fb

I do suggest mock-ups (proofs of concept, in this case).
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.

That is indeed the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    I could go and pick one of the conventinal ways, but I'd rather not for the same reason this community likes to step back from the convensional car-audio: I just want to see what's possible to take it to a next level...
    Yep, I understand. Kudos for trying to think outside the box. I was just saying that when you start reverting back to 'venting through the dash' or using a membrane to control reflections, you're essentially getting back to what others have done, so I'm wondering what tweaks you're talking about doing that's going to set your idea apart? That's all. ;)
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

The mill in my head is doing overtime so I'll figure something out, be it with acoustic damping or not, I'm not sure yet...

I'll start with indeed some testfits of the drivers in the enclosure I want and see how that turns out, what things need to be addressed and how...

I'm just in the thinking-fase right now... The only thing I have planned out so far is locations of the drivers.

Founding Member
    There are more than several comp. cars here in the US that run kickpanels in two seat. The ones I have heard pull it off about 95%, the driver seat is always just a little better. The only car I have sat in running two seat that is about 98.5% is Mark Eldridges car but he is running an array type set-up. Even his car still sounds just that little bit better in the driver seat.

So kicks could be an option. I would no rule anything out until you run through a bunch of test placements. It will be interesting to see your progress and see if you can get di-pole to work. Look forward to your testing.
    Team JL Audio, Team MSE (Mobile SoundStage Engineering), Team Zapco

I know it can be done with kickānels in some cars, but just not in mine. I's a very small interior, on top of that I got pretty long legs but sit pretty close forward because I can't fully stretch them. My legs would block the midrange completely!