Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Window Tint?

Acoustic Window Tint?

I have been contemplating getting window tint for my ride, yo. I could have sworn that I have heard someone discussing a window tint that absorbs some measurable quantities of soundwaves. From what I understand about acoustics, there is no chance of any noticeable attenuation in the low or even midrange frequencies, and one of the governing factors with high frequencies is the texture of the surface. It seems probable in this current era of technology that someone has figured this out. Does anyone know about this?

no, pretty much impossible.

I see your point. :dw:

No, double-paned glass with security film or thicker glass in general will BLOCK some sound (making the interior quieter), and luxury cars use these techniques plus better/sronger framing around the glass to reduce ambient noise. There is nothing I know of that would actually absorb sound (especially something like the sound-waves from your speakers) available on the market.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

Well, if this is true I guess I will have to hang some shag carpet from my roofliner then.

carpet the windows

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    carpet the windows
    Heard you stole my crossover.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Why not this one?
    HAVERKAMP sun protection film technology

If I understand correctly, this is open-cell technology in a film

Kelvin

I know one IASCA Expert competitor used to use clear tint to change the acoustic reflectivity of his windows and windshield glass. No idea if any testing was performed.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Somebody, in India I think, was pitching something like this a few years ago. Claimed a 10 dB reduction in transmission but had nothing to support the claim. Since I haven't heard anything since, I'm going to guess it didn't work out. You need to travel into the future and get some transparent aluminum.