Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headphones/Amps

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
    What do you mean when you say crossfade, is that like crossfeed? I've used the crossfeed function in rockbox and never cared for the effect.
    Yes, I mean crossfeed. Sorry. Post above edited to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Vet View Post
    A friend on the forum's (minibox) brought over a new pair of Denon cans that I was extremely impressed with (I believe this is the model DENON US | AH-D2000 I think he paid about $250 for them - extremely comfortable, excellent sound quality, and fairly efficient - played well with my iPod which my Senn's really don't do.
    I'll second all that about the D2000's. The only two things I'll add is that they are a) huge, and b) that aside, not the best for traveling, because the unipivot design linking the earcups to the headband isn't terribly well engineered. But I love mine. They've more or less entirely supplanted my Senn 580s.

Something else I saw in Crutchfield for a 'lower priced' (all relative) alternative Headphone Amp:
    Those amp are too expensive for what they offer, and more importantly what they don't (user-selectable crossfeed).

Here's what I'd recommend, though admittedly there may be considerably less expensive alternatives from other venders and/or interesting DIY projects that offer the same functionality.

"cheap n' cheerful": HeadRoom Total BitHead

"high end" looking/feeling: HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp

I would be cool to do an A to B with this versus the jack in my Home Receiver - really a difference that would be noticeable?
    On something that needs a lot of voltage (like a Senn 580/600/650), maybe. On many if not most headphones, no.

Great points Jay - I may give you a shout at some point to further discuss (so not to clog up OP's thread).

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    I'll second all that about the D2000's. The only two things I'll add is that they are a) huge, and b) that aside, not the best for traveling, because the unipivot design linking the earcups to the headband isn't terribly well engineered. But I love mine. They've more or less entirely supplanted my Senn 580s.
    That's why some are getting their D2000 moddified: LA2000

I bought my D2000 for $110 (problem with cable) just waiting for an upgrade.

Kelvin

Founding Member
    That mod does absolutely nothing for the pivot-screw issue. If anything, it should make the issue worse by putting more mass on the earcups.

And anyone who thinks wires have anything to do with anything except for lining some con man's pockets, well...

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Well for my set, it's only gonna make it better lol
    When I move the cable around, one side shuts off and comes back

Kelvin

Founding Member
    You're seriously paying that kind of money to put new wires on a set of headphones? Eight hundred bucks (the cheapest listed "upgrade" on customer cans) can buy a new pair of D2000's as well as their competitors from Senn and AKG...

And it sounds like a few minutes with a soldering iron could have yours as good as new. As long as you watch that damn little pivot screw.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    There is another guy that does mods for much cheaper but can't put my finger on his website.
    Read a review between a Modded D2000 and a D5000 - mod was like $300 if I remember correctly
    Apparently there's no contest, sound was fuller and more open.

I might try to solder it later on but I'm quite interested in modding stuffs. Already stuffed my pads myself :p
    And wonder what the wooden cups sound like. If I don't feel it's worth it, then I'm just gonna sell those. Head-Fi.org have a lot of crazy buyers ;)

Kelvin

PS: FIY cheapest mod is $139 but I have already upgraded my pads :p - next one is $500 though still a lot of money.
    Last edited by Subwoofery; 02-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Founding Member
    What do expensive wires have to do with "modding," though?

And everybody who fucks with something seems to think that it's hands-down better after being fucked with. So I don't put any stock in that kind of forum blabber, unless there's an actual reason for the improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by montyburns View Post

Do you have a preferred style of head-speaker? I'm partial to IEMs myself.
    I am pretty sure I would like to use a more traditional "over ear" type.

Great points Jay - I may give you a shout at some point to further discuss (so not to clog up OP's thread).
    Feel free to clog up this thread.

Aside for portability, is there any real difference between a dedicated headphone amp and using the output of say a home audio system?

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Aside for portability, is there any real difference between a dedicated headphone amp and using the output of say a home audio system?
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the gear. After all, no manufacturer is going to spend much on a dedicated headphone circuit. That said, some will surprise you. But I maintain that with most headphones the only important difference between amps is the crossfeed circuit. I suspect that many of the "surround" processors are really just some form of crossfeed, too.