Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headphones/Amps

Is this really comparable to a decent commercially available piece?
    How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I really wanted to get my feet wet in home audio. I came to the conclusion that it won't work well for me-now. My home is just a bit of a crazy place and I really wouldn't have the peace an quiet needed to enjoy listening to music.

So...I have decided that headphones would be good for me.

Anybody have any input, recommendations, etc..., to get me off in the right direction? I don't want to start on the low end-somewhere in the middle would be best. Any forums dedicated to headphones?

Thanks!
    I was getting ready to post almost the same thing verbatim, adding that I was pussy-whipped. I'm watching too.

Back in say 02/03 I was hell bent on building an OTL headphone amp. Looking around again proves that not only does everyone want to sell me one, but the plans are just buried. I have a lot of the harder to find parts too. If you are into DIY they can be pretty simple builds. One issue is that they like to drive higher impedance loads, like 200 ohms+. One set of my current headphones is only 24 ohms. Of course I'll likely buy a set of sennys as I've liked them and would like to have closed and open back.

I have always found the single rackspace crown amps to be pretty decent headphone amps, like a D45. People shit bricks when I talk about doing that but do the math of how much is hitting a headphone driver when you have say, enough voltage to drive a 4 ohm load at 45 watts, that's not a lot of juice at 300 ohms. But the output impedance is still low enough to really have balls.

In 04 my (then) grad student built a class A headphone amp with balls, I'll find out what it was. It ran hotter than a firecracker but sounded great and would drive a bus.

Founding Member
    Instead of buying headphone amps that make it another doohickey to lug around or limit your enjoyment, why not spend a little bit more and buy a nice sensitive pair of headphones that don't need to be lit on fire?

This is for home use, I just run my shure IEM's when I'm mowing.

Also, my Sonys are ungodly sensitive, but because they have such a low impedance they REALLY thin out a shitty amp section. like night and day.
    Last edited by Chad; 02-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    Instead of buying headphone amps that make it another doohickey to lug around or limit your enjoyment, why not spend a little bit more and buy a nice sensitive pair of headphones that don't need to be lit on fire?
    I do not intend on moving them around. Just occupying space at the computer desk. I also am planning to build Dennis Murphy's CAOW1 loudspeakers. If I could drive them and a decent quality pair of headphones with a minimum of hardware, I'd be set.

Real Name
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    In 04 my (then) grad student built a class A headphone amp with balls, I'll find out what it was. It ran hotter than a firecracker but sounded great and would drive a bus.

Well, I'm in the game.

I bought a set of MB Quart headphones last week and some new pads for my Sony V6's and V700's.

The V700's can be a bit of a bitch to drive and i suspect the Quarts will be no fun either. so I bought an Audio-GD Sparrow Headphone Amp.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Main reasons were the multiple inputs for digital audio and the fact that it has HUGE BALLS for output along with a kickass signal path.

BUT, given the fact that it comes with 2 DA modules, I have been thrust into nerd-dom.

All of this with my wife's blessings as I started on the home audio rant again. I'm tired of having to come out to my shop to listen to music.

I sold off my UE Triple Fi Pro 10's and bought the Etymotic hr3's based off Adam's review. I was going to buy some different ear tips to use but figured I'd use that $$$ toward a set of custom molded tips since Ety offers a set for about $100 through their "Custom Fit" program.

Went to the audiologist today. Walk-in; no appt. I was in and out within 15 minutes. Lady knew exactly what I was talking about and I gave her the voucher. She took the molds and said they'd take care of the rest. No paperwork, no nothing. Probably the coolest Dr. visit I've ever had. They said typically their customers get the molds in about 4 weeks. Ety's site says 6-8 weeks. I'll report back when I get them. Looking forward to it!
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!