Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headphones/Amps

Headphones/Amps

I really wanted to get my feet wet in home audio. I came to the conclusion that it won't work well for me-now. My home is just a bit of a crazy place and I really wouldn't have the peace an quiet needed to enjoy listening to music.

So...I have decided that headphones would be good for me.

Anybody have any input, recommendations, etc..., to get me off in the right direction? I don't want to start on the low end-somewhere in the middle would be best. Any forums dedicated to headphones?

Thanks!

I sent a friend an email with your question because he has auditioned several good amps, and would be able to give some pointers on what to look for. You could take a look at audioadvisor.comto see some models /prices. I saw the following forum as well
    Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles

I have had good luck with Grado. I like my SR60, which I have had for years. I bought a set of SR325 from a member of another forum, and haven't used them because I wanted to get them a headphone amp - which I haven't done. But Grado seems to be sensible and deliver good value, and when I met them years ago at CES, they all seemed like nice folks.

From what little I know about headphones, you want to know if a headphone amp is required for the load, or if it will work off of, say, an iPod output. Some headphones are harder to drive than others. I use my SR60 to listen to my iPhone and with Pandora while working at my desk at home at night. Seems to work OK. I don't think you can go wrong with the SR60.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Founding Member
    If you want to start cheap, Amazon has the Altec UHP336's, a rebadge of one of the Ultimate Ears ones) for $40 again. I won't comment on them yet as mine just arrived yesterday and I've not listened to them seriously. They seem pretty efficient (off of my Evo), so except for crossfeed functionality you might not even need an amp.

Headphones are quite personal, though. For instance, I really just can't listen to Grados. Any model, really. And Grado fans probably find the Senn HD580/600/650 excessively polite.

As for headphone fora, unfortunately they're some of the most polluted with BS of any audio fora. And that's saying quite a lot...
    Last edited by DS-21; 02-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks all for the info and experience. Just what I was hoping for!

I enjoyed this budget combo very much (for the price).Enough that I wouldn't hesitate to try their higher-priced units.
    Head-Direct.com | YUIN
    I liked it far better than the Klipsch s4 that replaced it; those were so bad I got a refund.

Do you have a preferred style of head-speaker? I'm partial to IEMs myself.
    Last edited by montyburns; 02-11-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    If you want to start cheap, Amazon has the Altec UHP336's, a rebadge of one of the Ultimate Ears ones) for $40 again. I won't comment on them yet as mine just arrived yesterday and I've not listened to them seriously. They seem pretty efficient (off of my Evo), so except for crossfade functionality you might not even need an amp.

Headphones are quite personal, though. For instance, I really just can't listen to Grados. Any model, really. And Grado fans probably find the Senn HD580/600/650 excessively polite.

As for headphone fora, unfortunately they're some of the most polluted with BS of any audio fora. And that's saying quite a lot...
    What do you mean when you say crossfade, is that like crossfeed? I've used the crossfeed function in rockbox and never cared for the effect.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Buyer's guide:
    AVguide's PLAYBACK Headphone Buyer's Guide | AVguide
    The Playback Guide to Full-Size Headphones | AVguide

As for the amp, I'd suggest if your budget allows:
    6moons audio reviews: Peachtree Audio iDecco
    You can drive speakers with it too.

Kelvin

Concerning amps - from my friend:

My favorite dedicated headphone amp that I've heard was the Woo Audio W2...an OTL design which is ideal for headphones. The W6 is pretty good but if you can spring the extra few hundred, it's worth it IMO.

The W6SE apparently costs more than the WA2 but I don't recall it sounding better.

He can check out my blog for more detail:

Audio Addiction Blog Archive 2010 NYC Head-Fi Headphone Meet

Also, Woo Audio website:

Woo Audio High-End Tube Amplifiers - The Sound of Excellence

Traditionally Grommes has been a maker of excellent headphone amps.

The PHI-26 was their flagship headphone amp, and I believe retailed for about $1000. I believe it's discontinued though....so probably the only way to get it is through audiogon or ebay.
    Concerning Headphones: I have the Senn HD530's that I bought years ago - really like them, as was mentioned earlier, very polite 'refined' sound. A friend on the forum's (minibox) brought over a new pair of Denon cans that I was extremely impressed with (I believe this is the model DENON US | AH-D2000 I think he paid about $250 for them - extremely comfortable, excellent sound quality, and fairly efficient - played well with my iPod which my Senn's really don't do.

Something else I saw in Crutchfield for a 'lower priced' (all relative) alternative Headphone Amp:

NuForce Icon 2 (Silver) Desktop stereo integrated amplifier with built-in USB DAC at Crutchfield.com

NuForce Icon HDP (Black) Headphone amp/USB DAC/stereo preamp at Crutchfield.com

I would be cool to do an A to B with this versus the jack in my Home Receiver - really a difference that would be noticeable?