Thread: Nomenclature difference between home and car?

Nomenclature difference between home and car?

Why is there differences in crossover nomenclature between home and car guys? When a home guy says to cross a tweeter over "high" to a mid, they are talking like 3500 hertz. Crossing a tweeter over high to a mid for a car guy would be like at least an octave above that.

Conversely crossing a tweeter over low in the home world is like at 1500-1700 hertz and the car guys is an octave above that.

I was looking at Zaph's page with the car version/setup of his 5s and the Seas neo metal dome...he has it crossed at 1800 hertz 4th order. The polars look great, and I guess he wouldn't do a xo point like that if the distortion levels would be too high for the tweeter. But I guess the down side would be output levels and power handling playing that low.

Why do us car guys do things so differently than the home world?

Founding Member
    If I had to guess it would be that usually the tweeter is on axis with the woofer and within a few inches. that and home audio tweeters are usually bigger... just a guess.
    Daily driver- 06 Tc. w205-h701. Zuki Eleets hybrid 5 channel. Peerless SDS mids, Arc Black series tweeters. Stereo Integrity BM.

Toy- 95' Lexus Sc300 Build coming soon!

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winslow View Post
    Why do us car guys do things so differently than the home world?
    environmental limitations?

I thought that too, but then Zaph has his car "kit" for his 5 that has the little Seas neo crossed at about 1800 hertz. I know the metal cone mid has a resonance, but that seems awefully low to run that tweeter.

Then again we might like a bit more blistering volume than home guys?

Founding Member
    I would argue less. Any time I meter a car at the same apparent loudness as a home the home meters way way louder. Or put another way, 90 dB of midrange in a house is not 90 dB of midrange in a car. In my experience.

I agree, just more space to energize in the house.

I just find it odd that we in the car world do things so much differently than in the home in this regard, especially with circumstances where the mids are close/next to the tweeters.

Then again most car marketed tweeters are chamberless and probably have a high Fs...but how many of us on these boards use "car" marketed speakers unless we have to?

I just wonder if it has to do with the reflection issues and typical install locations in a car (ie: pillar mounted, dash firing tweeters).
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Maybe controlling directivity some in a crude way?

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by winslow View Post
    Maybe controlling directivity some in a crude way?
    That's exactly what I was thinking: controlling dispersion.

And if I had to guess, that can be mostly due to the fact that a lot of guyz separate the midrange and the tweeter. Unless it's Xover high, the tweeter is better off within a distance of 1/4 wavelength at the crossover point from the midrange.

Kelvin