Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the "real" differences in MP3, M4P, & M4A?

What are the "real" differences in MP3, M4P, & M4A?

Can the average listener really hear the differences? What does iTunes use?

The reason I ask is because I just got a Verizon iPhone.

Thanks,
    RON
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I think that dash mats look white trash... If you asked me to paint my shop pussy pink because pussy pink sounded heads and shoulders better... I would not do that either.

I prefer to forgo the itunes native format and just use MP3, that way it simply works across the board.

As for the audibility... a whole big can of worms.

I prefer to forgo the itunes native format and just use MP3, that way it simply works across the board.

As for the audibility... a whole big can of worms.

With an iPhone I am somewhat stuck. Personally I love the ease of iTunes and the App Store. I am now going through the tedious process of putting all my CD’s into iTunes… I get about three CD’s a day (every time I go downstairs I load a new one).

It seems iTunes is use M4P.
    I think that dash mats look white trash... If you asked me to paint my shop pussy pink because pussy pink sounded heads and shoulders better... I would not do that either.

iTunes will let you rip a CD in most of the formats. Also, after you download stuff in the music store, you can convert in iTunes. I Think the iphone will play most formats...if its anything like an ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Dub View Post
    ...if its anything like an ipod.
    Same.

MP3 cuts off below 50Hz IIRC, that's in the original Fraunhofer Institute spec. M4A is lossless and sounds great over a decent system; lots more air over and above a 190kbps MP3. - Bret

mp3 doesn't cut off below 50Hz.

m4a isn't lossless either. It usually describes a container that holds AAC encoded audio.

Is AAC better than mp3? From a very general standpoint, yes, it's usually considered a more efficient encoding method. That doesn't mean it sounds better. It means it takes less bits to encode audio at the same quality. But as Chad pointed out, mp3 is still (usually) better supported in most software/hardware. I personally use mp3 (V0). With hard drive prices being what they are, people who are starting out archiving are going more towards flac these days it seems.

And you wouldn't want to convert the itunes plus 256kbps VBR AAC store bought files to anything other than lossless or uncompressed format.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
    mp3 doesn't cut off below 50Hz.
    The fun bit here is apparently bandwidth is specc'd at "50-22kHz", but if I take one of the focal test tracks with 31Hz sinewave and convert it using LAME to MP3 (64kbps) - it works and I have sound, at the same levels as the original. So you're right, it can't.

m4a isn't lossless either. It usually describes a container that holds AAC encoded audio.

Is AAC better than mp3? From a very general standpoint, yes, it's usually considered a more efficient encoding method. That doesn't mean it sounds better. It means it takes less bits to encode audio at the same quality. But as Chad pointed out, mp3 is still (usually) better supported in most software/hardware. I personally use mp3 (V0).
    I understood MP4 as being a codec which was just as "finished" but for which the licence terms were more strict. Add to that the additional computing overhead requirement and custom MP3 decoders and MP4 didn't stand a chance commercially. ALAC is the lossless format from Apple.

With hard drive prices being what they are, people who are starting out archiving are going more towards flac these days it seems.
    ha, I wish; they're still high because of the Thai floods. And yes, I do "FLAC" everything, level 2. Moved on to that from Ogg level 5 as I could hear the difference over MP3s.

- Bret

How big is your music catalog? By "prices being what they are", I mean in comparison to 10 years ago.